If you love homemade beef jerky, you’ll love these air fryer beef chips! These beef chips are similar to beef jerky but crispy and much quicker to make. They’re perfect to take along for a quick protein snack and keep well at room temp.
This air fryer beef jerky recipe is the quick and easy fix when you’re craving beef jerky but don’t have the time or want to put in the effort. These beef chips are savory, peppery, garlicky, crispy and full of beefy flavor. Best of all there’s no additives like store-bought beef jerky so you can rest assure you’re snacking on good stuff.
Just make sure you make an extra batch because these surely don’t last in our household!
What are beef jerky chips and how are they different than beef jerky?
Beef jerky is made from thick sliced beef typically marinated for at least 12 hours using seasonings such as worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, soy sauce, and brown sugar, then placed in a dehydrator for another 8-12 hours. The texture ranges from soft and chewy to hard and dry.
On the other hand, beef chips are made from thinly sliced beef, sprinkled with seasoning, then air fried until crispy like a chip!
How do you make beef jerky chips in the air fryer and what ingredients do I need?
The ingredients needed to make air fryer beef jerky chips include:
- Sliced Beef – get lean beef cuts like sirloin or round roast sliced very thin against the grain. The thinner the beef the more crispier.
- Salt – you can use any type of salt but we prefer sea salt.
- Black Pepper – both coarse or fine can be used.
- Garlic Powder – standard garlic powder.
- Red Pepper or Chili (optional) – sprinkle sparingly if you like a little spice.
- Other Spices of Choice – onion powder or any of your favorite dry seasoning.
Lay thin slices of beef flat and sprinkle seasonings. Place beef flat in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 45-60 minutes at 200 F. Once done, let cool and enjoy!
What cut of beef should I use to make beef jerky chips?
Use lean round or sirloin beef that is thinly sliced to 1/8 of an inch. Different thickness will results in different cooking times and texture. Note: The thinner the beef he crispier it will get.
You usually can pick up thinly sliced meat labeled for shabu shabu at an Asian supermarket or ask your local store to slice them for you.
Can I use an oven instead?
Yes! 200F for 60-75 minutes center rack. Convection will work best, but if not, bake for a little longer until desired tenderness is reached.
Is there a marinade to use for this recipe?
No, there isn’t. Since we are making crispy beef chips, we want the beef as dry as possible so we elect to use a dry seasoning instead of a wet marinade.
What is the nutrition information for this beef jerky chips recipe?
- 290 Calories
- 1g Carbohydrates
- 0g Fiber
- 20g Protein
- 23g Fat
- 81mg Cholesterol
- 367mg Sodium
- 306mg Potassium
- 20mg Calcium
- 2mg Iron
- 0ui Vitamin A
- 0mg Vitamin C
Did you have any other snack recipes I could try out?
- Air Fried Salt n Vinegar Zucchini Chips
- Ground Beef Jerky Sticks
- Japanese Ramen Eggs
- Asian Marinated Mozzarella Pearls
- Charcuterie Board
Now, let’s get making some Air Fryer Beef Jerky Chips!
- Prepping Time 1M
- Cooking Time 60M
- Cooling Time 5M
- Total Time 66M
- Net Carb/Serv ~1g
- Servings 2
- 1/2 lb Thinly Sliced Beef (we recommend leaner cuts like sirloin or round)
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) In a small mixing bowl, combine salt, black pepper, garlic powder and mix well to create the seasoning.
3) Lay the beef slices flat and sprinkle seasoning on both sides.
4) Transfer beef into the air fryer tray single stacked (very important each slice is single stacked, otherwise they will not get crispy) and air fry for 60-75 minutes at 200F. Once done, let beef slices cool for 5 minutes before enjoying. Note – the time is going to vary greatly depending on thickness.
Hope you enjoy your Air Fryer Beef Jerky Chips!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy low carb inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Air Fryer Beef Jerky Chips
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine salt, black pepper, garlic powder and mix well to create the seasoning.
- Lay the beef slices flat and sprinkle seasoning on both sides.
- Transfer beef into the air fryer tray single stacked (very important each slice is single stacked, otherwise they will not get crispy) and air fry for 45-60 minutes at 200F. Once done, let beef slices cool for 5 minutes before enjoying. Note - the time is going to vary greatly depending on thickness.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*