Indulge in the irresistible flavors of our Air Fry Soy Sauce Chicken Karaage! This Asian-inspired dish combines tender boneless chicken thighs marinated in a delectable soy sauce blend, air-fried to golden perfection.
It’s quick, easy, and bursting with savory goodness, making it the ultimate crowd-pleaser for any occasion.
Say goodbye to the takeout menu and savor the flavorful magic of homemade chicken karaage made effortlessly in your air fryer.
What is Air Fryer Soy Sauce Chicken Karaage?
Air Fryer Soy Sauce Chicken Karaage is a delightful twist on the classic Japanese fried chicken karaage.
This recipe features a slightly sweet soy sauce marinade and is air-fried, omitting the traditional starch coating to maintain its low-carb and gluten-free appeal.
With just 5 minutes of prep time, it’s incredibly easy to prepare, whether as a savory main dish or a delightful side.
You can even marinate it in batches and freeze for convenient future use.
What does air fry soy sauce chicken taste like?
Air fry soy sauce Chicken boasts a rich marinade flavor with a delightful blend of sweet, savory, and umami notes.
The chicken is infused with hints of garlic and toasted sesame oil, resulting in a mouthwatering taste.
It’s tender and juicy without any coating, complemented by a zesty lemon juice drizzle, creating a harmonious and delicious flavor profile.
What ingredients do I need to make air fry soy sauce chicken?
- Chicken – boneless skinless chicken thighs. Can sub with chicken breast is preferred.
- Ginger – grated using a hand grater or cheese grater.
- Soy Sauce –low-sodium soy sauce preferred. Can also use tamari for gluten-free and coconut aminos for keto.
- Japanese Sake – typically will come in a large bottle labeled junmai sake. Can also substitute with dry sherry wine or Chinese cooking wine.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – toasted 100% sesame seed oil that should have a dark brown color.
- Sweetener – use your preferred sweetener.
- Garlic – freshly grated garlic. No need for garlic powder.
- Togarashi (optional) – Japanese red pepper found in Japanese supermarkets. Optional for a little spice.
- Lemon (optional) – squeeze some lemon juice over cooked chicken before serving.
What are the instructions to make air fry karaage chicken?
Begin by creating the marinade. In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, sweetener, Japanese sake, and sesame oil, thoroughly mixing the ingredients.
Transfer this marinade into a ziplock bag. Place the chicken pieces into the bag and allow them to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour, or you can choose to marinate them overnight for maximum flavor.
Once the marination is complete, remove the chicken from the marinade. Arrange the marinated chicken pieces in a single layer inside the air fryer basket.
There’s no need to flip them during the cooking process. Set the air fryer to 360°F and cook the chicken for approximately 10-12 minutes until it is cooked thoroughly and achieves a beautiful golden brown color.
To add a burst of zesty freshness, squeeze a wedge of lemon juice over the cooked chicken.
Pro Tip – for the most flavor, marinate the chicken for 6-8 hours.
What to serve with air fry karaage chicken?
When serving air fry soy sauce chicken, consider complementing its savory flavors with dishes like:
- Rice of Choice
- Noodles of Choice
- Stir Fry Vegetables
- Steamed Veggies
- Light Broth Soup
How to store leftovers?
To store leftovers, place them in an airtight container in the fridge, where they’ll remain fresh and delicious for 10-14 days.
When you’re ready to enjoy them again, simply warm them up in the microwave for a quick and satisfying meal.
What is the nutrition information for this soy sauce chicken recipe?
- 448 Calories
- 3g Carbohydrates
- 1g Fiber
- 30g Protein
- 32g Fat
- 167mg Cholesterol
- 1147mg Sodium
- 414mg Potassium
- 24mg Calcium
- 2mg Iron
- 281ui Vitamin A
- 7mg Vitamin C
Looking for other Asian style chicken recipes?
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- Garlic Chicken Fried Rice
- Japanese Fried Chicken Kaarage
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Japanese Tebasaki Salted Chicken Wings
Now, let’s get making this Air Fryer Soy Sauce Chicken Karaage recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Marination Time 1H
- Cook Time 10M
- Total Time 1H 15M
- Net Carb/Serv ~2g
- Servings 2
- 3/4 lbs Boneless Chicken Thigh (about 3-4 small thighs)
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Japanese Sake (can substitute with Dry Sherry)
- 2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Sweetener (sugar alternative, sugar or preferred sweetener)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (add up to 6 garlic cloves if you like garlic)
- 1/2 tsp Togarashi (optional)
- 1 Lemon Wedge (optional)
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Grate garlic and ginger with a grater and add into a small mixing bowl.
4) Cut chicken into 1/2 x 1/2 inch small bite-size pieces, place them into the zip-lock bag and marinate for 1 hour minimum (up to overnight) in the refrigerator.
5) Once 1 hour has passed, remove chicken from marinade and transfer to an air fryer tray.
6) Air Fry at 360F for 10-12 minutes until chicken is golden brown. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with a wedge of lemon.
Hope you enjoy your Air Fryer Soy Sauce Chicken Karaage!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Air Fry Soy Sauce Chicken Karaage
- 3/4 lbs Boneless Chicken Thigh about 3-4 small thighs
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Japanese Sake can substitute with Dry Sherry
- 2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Sweetener sugar alternative, sugar or preferred sweetener
- 4 Cloves Garlic add up to 6 garlic cloves if you like garlic
- 1/2 tsp Togarashi optional
- 1 Lemon Wedge optional
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Grate garlic and ginger with a grater and add into a small mixing bowl.
- Combine Soy Sauce, sweetener, Japanese sake, Toasted Sesame Oil, optional Togarashi into the small mixing bowl, mix well and transfer marinade into a zip-lock bag.
- Cut chicken into 1/2 x 1/2 inch small bite-size pieces, place them into the zip-lock bag and marinate for 1 hour minimum (up to overnight) in the refrigerator.
- Once 1 hour has passed, remove chicken from marinade and transfer to an air fryer tray.
- Air Fry at 360F for 10-12 minutes until chicken is golden brown. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with a wedge of lemon.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*