The Bacon Spinach Salad is a flavorful Japanese-inspired dish that combines fresh spinach leaves with crispy bacon, sautéed mushrooms, and onions, all tossed in a tangy ponzu vinaigrette. It’s a warm, wilted spinach salad that’s low-carb and packed with healthy green spinach, making it a perfect addition to any meal.
How to make Bacon Spinach Salad with Ponzu Vinaigrette?
- Start by gathering all your ingredients and placing washed, dried spinach in a mixing bowl.
- Mix ponzu with your chosen sweetener.
- In a frying pan, cook chopped bacon pieces on medium heat for 2-4 minutes until they’re as crispy as you like and set aside.
- Use the same pan to sauté your onions for a minute, followed by the mushrooms for another 1-2 minutes. Add some butter and let it melt into the mixture.
- Combine the cooked bacon, onions, and mushrooms with the spinach in your bowl.
- Lastly, add the reserved liquid from the pan to your prepared ponzu dressing, mix well, and drizzle it over the salad.
What ingredients do I need to make spinach bacon salad?
- Spinach – baby spinach leaves and stemless are preferred.
- Onion – yellow or brown onion.
- Mushroom – common white mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms.
- Bacon – thinly chopped. Use any type of preferred bacon.
- Butter – salted or unsalted.
- Ponzu – a citrus flavored soy sauce found in most Japanese supermarkets, Mizkan brand preferred.
- Sweetener – use your preferred sweetener.
What is Ponzu
Ponzu is a citrus flavored soy sauce found in most Japanese supermarket and commonly used in Japanese cooking. You can makle your own homemade ponzu by comibing soy sauce, lemon, sweetener and hondashi.
Can you eat raw spinach leaves in a salad?
You can absolutely eat raw spinach leaves in fact, eating them raw ensures you get all the nutrients found in spinach.
Are spinach salads healthy?
Spinach salads are packed with vitamins and minerals and a perfect, healthy meal.
Looking for other Asian salad recipes?
- Japanese Sunomono Cucumber Salad
- Asian Cabbage Salad
- Japanese Ginger Salad Dressing
- Hiyashi Wakame Seaweed Salad
- Japanese Pork Belly Salad
Bacon Spinach Salad with Ponzu Vinaigrette
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Wash spinach, dry, and place in a mixing bowl.
- Slice onions and mushrooms.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing Ponzu with the sweetener of choice.
- Chop bacon into bacon pieces and add to a frying pan. Cook on medium heat for 2-4 minutes until bacon is done to liking (we recommend crispy for this recipe). Once done, lay a paper towel down onto a holding plate (to soak up excess oil).
- Add sliced onions into the same frying pan and cook for 1 minute on medium heat. Add in sliced mushrooms and cook for another 1-2 minutes until desired tenderness. Add butter and cook until melted.
- Transfer cooked bacon, onions and mushrooms (keep liquid in frying pan) into bowl with spinach. Mix well and transfer to a serving plate.
- Pour reserve liquid from the frying pan into ponzu mix from step 4), mix well and drizzle Ponzu vinaigrette dressing on top. Enjoy the spinach salad wilted.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*