This delicious sesame garlic bean sprouts recipe is healthy and full of flavor. It makes an easy weeknight side dish that comes together quickly!
If you’re looking for easy and tasty stir fry mung bean sprouts, this family recipe is one you don’t want to miss. This bean sprout dish goes with just about any meal and is a real crowd pleaser. Check out the instructions below on how to cook bean sprouts!
What are Stir Fry Bean Sprouts?
Stir Fry Bean Sprouts, also known as moyashi in Japanese, is a very simple dish using few ingredients. Bean sprouts are stir-fried in oil with garlic, sesame oil, and green onions giving them a crunchy texture that’s full of flavor.
How do I prepare and how to cook bean sprouts?
Make sure to wash bean sprouts in cold water and drain the excess water.
Different ways to cook bean sprouts include:
- Boil – place bean sprouts in boiling water with a little salt added and cook until desired tenderness.
- Saute – heat skillet and add oil. Place bean sprouts and cook on medium-high heat until soft but still crunchy. Add your preferred seasonings.
- Stir Fry – Heat oil in a wok until very hot and throw in bean sprouts. Quickly stir fry and mix continuously using a spatula until done.
Add your favorite seasonings such as soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, etc.
Can you eat bean sprouts raw?
Yes, bean sprouts can be eaten raw. Just make sure to give them a thorough wash before consuming.
What are the health benefits of bean sprouts moyashi?
Bean sprouts are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Some health benefits of bean sprouts include:
- Reduce Cancer
- Reduce Heart Disease
- High in Protein
- Improve digestion
What ingredients do I need and how do you make this stir fry bean sprouts recipe?
- Bean Sprouts – thoroughly washed. Bean sprouts, also known as moyahi, can be found in most Asian supermarkets.
- Garlic – grated using a hand grater or cheese grater.
- Green Onion – cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Neutral Cooking Oil – high temp neutral cooking oil such as vegetable oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – use toasted sesame oil (dark and rich in color). Check to make sure it is not a sesame oil blend.
- Salt – to taste, use table salt or sea salt.
- Black Pepper – to taste use fresh or pre-ground black pepper.
- Toasted Sesame Seed – use toasted sesame seeds found in most Asian supermarkets.
In a large fry pan or a wok, heat up some neutral cooking oil with some garlic. Once the garlic becomes fragrant, throw in the bean sprouts and cook until desired tenderness is reached.
Add in seasoning and drizzle with toasted sesame oil and sliced green onions. Enjoy hot.
What is the nutrition information for this bean sprouts recipe?
- 163 Calories
- 8g Carbohydrates
- 2g Fiber
- 3g Protein
- 15g Fat
- 0mg Cholesterol
- 301mg Sodium
- 155mg Potassium
- 14mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
- 60ui Vitamin A
- 15mg Vitamin C
Looking for vegetable stir fry recipes?
Now, let’s get making this Bean Sprouts Stir Fry recipe!
- Prepping Time 2M
- Cook Time 4M
- Total Time 6M
- Net Carb/Serving ~4g
- Servings 1
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Prepare and wash bean sprouts as needed and set aside.
4) Finely slice green onions and set aside (we sliced them at 45 degree angle for this recipe, but you can slice them however you like).
5) In a large Teflon frying pan or wok, add neutral cooking oil and bring up to heat on high. Once oil is up to tempeture, add bean sprouts (caution for hot oil spattering) and cook for 30 seconds while continuously mixing.
6) After 30 seconds, add garlic, salt, black pepper and Toasted Sesame Seed, mix/stir well until bean sprouts are fully cooked, about 30 – 60 seconds. Finish with a drizzle of Toasted Sesame Oil and sprinkle of green onions. Serve immediately for hot version, or place in fridge for at least 10 mins for cold version.
Hope you enjoy your Bean Sprouts Stir Fry!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Bean Sprouts Stir Fry
- 1 Cup Bean Sprouts
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1/2 Stalk Green Onion
- 1 tbsp Neutral Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/8 tsp Salt to taste
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame Seed
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Prepare and wash bean sprouts as needed and set aside.
- Grind garlic with a grinder or a garlic press and set aside.
- Finely slice green onions and set aside (we sliced them at 45 degree angle for this recipe, but you can slice them however you like).
- In a large Teflon frying pan or wok, add neutral cooking oil and bring up to heat on high. Once oil is up to tempeture, add bean sprouts (caution for hot oil spattering) and cook for 30 seconds while continuously mixing.
- After 30 seconds, add garlic, salt, black pepper and Toasted Sesame Seed, mix/stir well until bean sprouts are fully cooked, about 30 - 60 seconds. Finish with a drizzle of Toasted Sesame Oil and sprinkle of green onions. Serve immediately for hot version, or place in fridge for at least 10 mins for cold version.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*