Who says you can’t have hot chocolate on a keto low carb diet? This ultra creamy and rich keto hot chocolate will keep you warm and toasty this holiday season without worrying about the carbs!
The winter season is among us and that means it’s time for holiday keto drinks!
Of course, the first one I wanted to share with you all is the classic winter keto hot chocolate.
The other day, my daughter asked me if she could have hot chocolate and since we try to avoid having our kids consume sugary foods/drinks when possible, I knew I had to come up with a healthier sugar free version for her.
I quickly threw some almond milk, monkfruit blend, and cocoa powder into a stove and after tasting it, realized it wasn’t half bad. My daughter certainly enjoyed it!
I improved the recipe by adding heavy cream to make it creamier, a pinch of salt and perfecting the ratios. The result was definitely share worthy!
How do you make keto hot chocolate?
What makes hot chocolate “not keto” friendly is the use of milk and sugar. So to make hot chocolate keto friendly, I used almond milk and monkfruit as the main substitutes and added heavy cream to make it creamy. Then I just added unsweetened cocoa powder and a pinch of salt for a little twist!
What kind of cocoa powder do you use for keto hot chocolate?
Any type of unsweetened cocoa powder can be used to make this recipe. You can purchase high quality cocoa powder or the standard supermarket kind. It all depends on your taste preference.
Can you substitute almond milk for other types of keto friendly milk?
You can definitely use alternate keto friendly types of milk such as coconut milk or a nut milk. You can also try a low carb cow’s milk such as Fairlife ultra-filtered brand milk.
Why do you add sea salt to hot chocolate?
Not only does sea salt give the hot chocolate contrasting sweet and salty flavors, but it also takes away some of the bitterness from the cocoa powder and enhances the chocolate flavor.
Did you have any other hot drink recipes I could check out?
- Keto Hot Matcha Latte
- Keto Ginger Tea
- Keto Creamy Coconut Hot Chocolate
- Keto Low Carb Turmeric Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Full Collection of Hot Drink Recipes
Now, if you’re ready, let’s get making some of the Best Keto Hot Chocolate around!
- Cooking Time 3M
- Total Time 3M
- Net Carb/Cup ~2g
- Servings 2 Cups
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Using a stove top pot, add Almond Milk, Cocoa Powder, Monkfruit Erythritol Blend, heavy cream and sea salt. Mix well and heat to preferred drinking temperature on medium-low heat. Note – do not let it boil.
3) Transfer to a heat resistant cup, top with optional whipping cream and enjoy warm.
Hope you enjoy your Keto Hot Chocolate!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of keto inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Best Keto Hot Chocolate
- 2 Cups Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp Monkfruit Erythritol Blend
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Using a stove top pot, add Almond Milk, Cocoa Powder, Monkfruit Erythritol Blend, heavy cream and sea salt. Mix well and heat to preferred drinking temperature on medium-low heat. Note - do not let it boil.
- Transfer to a heat resistant cup, top with optional whipping cream and enjoy warm.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*