This delicious sliced boiled pork belly recipe is a perfect easy keto low carb dinner to make during the week! The pork belly is boiled until tender, then sliced and dipped in a simple and addicting soy garlic sauce!
Coming from a Taiwanese family, Asian style boiled pork belly is a regular in our house as it is in many Taiwanese and Chinese households.
It’s a simple and easy dish that requires very little effort which is why it is one of our favorites! Not to mention, it only requires 6 ingredients to make the entire recipe!
Just keep in mind that this dish is meant to be enjoyed with the garlic dipping sauce and it’s what makes this dish, so make sure to put in the extra effort to make it!
What type of pork belly to use and where to get it?
We typically use boneless and skinless pork belly that has been cut into thick long pieces. Depending on your location, you can usually find them at Asian markets. But we typically buy them at Costco, which has the best prices.
How do you prep and boil pork belly?
To get rid of the unwanted flavor from pork, we combine Japanese sake and sliced ginger into the pot and boil for 30 minutes to get it nice and tender. If you can’t get a hold of Japanese sake, you can use white wine or even a splash of vodka. This will really help get rid of the unwanted stench that comes from boiling pork.
What kind of dipping sauce to use with boiled pork belly?
This garlic dipping sauce is what makes this dish! Since boiling the pork belly doesn’t give it much flavor, it’s meant to be enjoyed with this delicious garlic sauce! Start by grating some garlic, dice up some jalapeños and simply mix with some Soy Sauce. That’s it! If you don’t prefer spicy, you can skip the jalapeños.
For this one, the special ingredients you’ll need are Soy Sauce and Japanese sake. You can replace with Dry Sherry or Vodka if needed.
Now, let’s get cooking some Asian style boiled pork belly!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Cook Time 40M
- Total Time 45M
- Net Carb/Serv ~0g
- Servings 8-10 pieces
- 1 1/2 lb Slice of Pork Belly (the Costco one is about 10″ in length)
- 1/2 Inch of Ginger
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Japanese sake (can replace with dry sherry or vodka)
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/4 Inch of Jalapeno (can replace with chili of choice)
- 1 Stalk Green Onions
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Thinly slice ginger into 1/8 inch slices and set aside.
3) Fill stove top pot with enough water to completely submerge entire pork belly. Add Japanese sake, sliced ginger, salt and bring to boil. Once boiling, add the entire pork belly into the stove top pot. Bring heat down to medium-low, partially cover and cook for 40 minutes.
5) Chop green onions and set aside.
6) After 40 minutes, remove pork belly and cut into bite-size pieces around 1/2 inch in width. Transfer to serving plate, sprinkle chopped green onions on top and serve with garlic soy sauce. Enjoy!
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Easy Boiled Pork Belly with Soy Garlic Sauce!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Boiled Pork Belly with Soy Garlic Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb Pork Belly the Costco one is about 10" in length
- 1/2 Inch Ginger
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Japanese Sake
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Thinly slice ginger into 1/8 inch slices and set aside.
- Fill stove top pot with enough water to completely submerge entire pork belly. Add Japanese sake, sliced ginger, salt and bring to boil. Once boiling, add the entire pork belly into the stove top pot. Bring heat down to medium-low, partially cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- In the meantime finely dice jalapeno (with seeds), grate garlic with a grater or a garlic press and place into a dipping bowl. Add Soy Sauce, mix well, and set aside.
- Chop green onions and set aside.
- After 40 minutes, remove pork belly and cut into bite-size pieces around 1/2 inch in width. Transfer to serving plate, sprinkle chopped green onions on top and serve with garlic soy sauce. Enjoy!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*