I miss specialty bread, especially my favorite Jalapeño Cheddar bread that we’d used to get from our local bakery! So when I started making chaffles, I immediately knew I wanted to experiment with making different combinations of sweet and savory ones!
One in particular that I wanted to get started on was the Jalapeño Cheddar chaffle! Since we always have a jar of jalapeño in our fridge, I went right to work experimenting with different ratios. I prefer my chaffles to be less eggy and more cheesy, so I followed our chaffle making technique for the crispy version and added more cheese on the top and bottom. Out came this very flavorful and crispy substitution for our Jalapeño Cheddar bread!
Now let’s discuss what a chaffle is for those of you not familiar. A chaffle is basically a mixture of egg, cheese, maybe some seasoning mixed together and cooked on a waffle iron. It’s low-carb/keto friendly and serves as a solid bread alternative. This is why I thought mixing cheddar and jalapeño into a chaffle mixture would be pretty awesome!
If you like your food spicy, you can use the ‘spicy’ jalapeño slices, otherwise you can use ‘regular’ or ‘mild’ jalapeño slices. Usually it’s labeled on the jar. You can use just shredded Cheddar or a Cheddar mix/blend, which is what we prefer. Either way it’ll taste delicious!
This chaffle will run ~1.5g net carbs per waffle due to the anti-caking ingredients found in most pre-shredded store bought cheese. However, if you’re strict on your carbs, you can shred your own block cheese which will net you ~0g net carbs per waffle.
For this dish, the only item you will need is a waffle maker. We use the Dash Mini Waffle Maker because it makes the perfect size waffles, but any waffle maker will do.
Note – If you are preparing multiple servings, we would recommend using 2 Dash Mini Waffle Maker simultaneously to reduce the cooking time.
Now if you’re ready, let’s chaffle!
Prepping Time 1M
Cooking Time 6M
Total Time 7M
Net Carb/Waffle ~1.5g
Servings 2 Waffles
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup Shredded Cheddar (we use Cheddar Jack mix)
- 8 Slices of Deli Jalepeno
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Plug-in Dash Mini Waffle Maker to pre-heat.
3) In a small mixing bowl, add eggs and 1/4 cup of shredded Cheddar and mix well.
4) Place about 1/8 cup shredded Cheddar on to the Dash Mini Waffle Maker, followed by ~1/2 of the egg mixture (enough to cover the iron), ~4 slices of jalapeño and another 1/8 cup of shredded Cheddar on top. Close lid and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Repeat for as many waffles you are making.
5) Take out and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Cheddar Jalapeño Chaffle!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Cheddar Jalapeño Chaffle
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 cup Shredded Cheddar we use Cheddar Jack mix
- 8 Slices Deli Jalapeño
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Plug-in Dash Mini Waffle Maker to pre-heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, add eggs and 1/4 cup of shredded Cheddar and mix well.
- Place about 1/8 cup shredded Cheddar on to the Dash Mini Waffle Maker, followed by ~1/2 of the egg mixture (enough to cover the iron), ~4 slices of jalapeño and another 1/8 cup of shredded Cheddar on top. Close lid and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Repeat for as many waffles you are making.
- Take out and enjoy warm or at room temperature.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*