Chili Oil Cucumber Salad LowCarbingAsian Cover

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad


Jump to Recipe

The other day, we were eating over at Ding Tai Fung (an amazing Taiwanese restaurant) when a dish in the form of a pyramid caught my eye.  So I asked our server what the dish was and they informed me it was their cucumber salad.  At this point I was intrigued, so for the sake of LCA, I decided to order one and see what it tasted like.  When it came out, I took a bite and was surprised with how it tasted.  It was sweet pickled cucumbers accompanied with hints of spiciness and sesame oil.  At first, I was partial to the dish but as I continued to eat it, it really grew on me to the point where I was inspired to create this recipe here on LCA!

So a couple of weeks later, I finally got around to making this dish.  I really thought it would be straight forward, but soon realized there was more than that meets the eye.  For the flavors to really get melded into the cucumber, it required some steps and pickling time.  But not to worry, it’s still a very easy recipe and the extra steps are worth it.

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad LowCarbingAsian Pin 1

This dish has a lot of flavors going on – it is slightly sweet and sour with flavors of sesame and chili oil all held together by the salted pickled crunch of the cucumbers.  It’s very refreshing and pairs well with many recipes here on LCA!   Cucumbers are also a great source of vitamin K and minerals all while being low-carb/keto friendly!  This dish comes in at ~3g net carb per serving.

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad LowCarbingAsian Pic

For this dish, the special ingredients you would need are Sesame Oil, Swerve/Monkfruit, Rice Vinegar and Chili Oil (La Yu), all of which should be available at your local Asian supermarket or on Amazon.

Now, let’s get cooking!

Prepping Time 5M

Pickling Time 2H

Total Time 2H5M

Net Carb/Serv ~3g

Servings 1

Ingredients

Directions

1) Gather all the ingredients.

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad Recipe (1)

2) With a vegetable peeler, peel the skin off the cucumbers every other stroke.  Pour 1/2 tsp of salt into the palm of your hands and rub the salt onto the cucumber.  Repeat with the other cucumber.  Once done, place in fridge and let it pickle for at least 30 minutes.

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad Recipe (15)

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad Recipe (16)

3) In the meantime, combine Swerve/Monkfruit, Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Chili Oil (La Yu) in mixing bowl and mix well until Swerve/Monkfruit dissolves.  Set aside.

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad Recipe (17)

4) Once 30 minutes has passed, slice cucumbers into 1/2 thick slices and place into a zip-lock bag.  Give the chili sauce a good mix and combine about 80% of sauce into the zip-lock.  Let it pickle for 1H30M in the fridge.  Keep remaining 20% as reserve and set aside

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad Recipe (19)

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad Recipe (13)

5) Once 1H30M has passed, transfer cucumbers onto serving plate.  Pour reserve sauce on top and enjoy chilled!

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad Recipe (14)

Hope you enjoy our Keto Chili Oil Cucumber Salad !  If you are looking for other low-carb/keto vegetable ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian Inspired low-carb/keto recipes!

Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive Ketolife discussion & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!

More Recipes

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad LowCarbingAsian Pin 2

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad LowCarbingAsian Cover

Chili Oil Cucumber Salad

The BEST Asian Low-Carb/Keto recipe for Chili Oil Cucumber Salad. Enjoy this refreshing dish at only ~3g Net Carb / Serving. Step by step directions with pictures makes this recipe quick and easy.
4.75 from 4 votes
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Asian, Taiwanese
Keyword: chilicucumbersalad, dingtaifungcucumbersalad, ketocucumbersalad, lowcarbcucumbersalad, pickledcucumbersalad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Pickling Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
Servings: 1
Print Recipe

Ingredients

  • 2 Whole Persian or Japanese Cucumbers American cucumbers are too soft for this dish
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 3 tbsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tbsp Swerve or Monkfruit
  • 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
  • 1 tsp Chili Oil (La Yu) use less if you prefer mild spiciness

Instructions

  • Gather all the ingredients.
  • With a vegetable peeler, peel the skin off the cucumbers every other stroke. Pour 1/2 tsp of salt into the palm of your hands and rub the salt onto the cucumber. Repeat with the other cucumber. Once done, place in fridge and let it pickle for at least 30 minutes.
  • In the meantime, combine Swerve/Monkfruit, Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Chili Oil (La Yu) in mixing bowl and mix well until Swerve/Monkfruit dissolves. Set aside.
  • Once 30 minutes has passed, slice cucumbers into 1/2 thick slices and place into a zip-lock bag. Give the chili sauce a good mix and combine about 80% of sauce into the zip-lock. Let it pickle for 1H30M in the fridge. Keep remaining 20% as reserve and set aside
  • Once 1H30M has passed, transfer cucumbers onto serving plate. Pour reserve sauce on top and enjoy chilled!

*This page contains affiliate marketing links*


Be the First to See New Recipes!

By subscribing you agree to receive our promotional marketing materials and agree with our Privacy Policy.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*