Get ready to elevate your salad game with our Chinese Chicken Salad recipe! Bursting with fresh flavors and tossed in a homemade dressing, this salad is the perfect balance of crunchy veggies and savory chicken. Say goodbye to bland salads and hello to a taste sensation that’ll leave you craving more!
Table of Contents
Why I Love This Recipe
If you’re craving a vibrant and flavorful salad dressing that’s both healthy and delicious, our homemade Chinese Chicken Salad dressing is the answer! Inspired by the Rascals teriyaki restaurant, this dressing brings the perfect balance of zesty and sweet flavors to your salad bowl!
Made with real, wholesome ingredients and customizable to your taste preferences, it’s the ideal choice for anyone seeking a simple, additive-free dressing bursting with fresh flavor! Whip up a batch today using the same easy method as our Miso Salad Dressing, and top it with tender, shredded chicken prepared using the same method found in our Shredded Chicken recipe. Elevate your salad game to new heights with this irresistible combination!
- Rice Vinegar – Rice Vinegar distilled from rice used in Asian cuisine. Can sub with distilled white vinegar.
- Sweetener – use your preferred sweetener.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – 100% Toasted Sesame Oil that should have a dark brown color.
- Vegetable Oil – or your preferred neutral oil.
- Salt – sea salt preferred.
- Black Pepper – ground.
- Iceberg Lettuce – washed and chopped.
- Shredded Chicken – optional boiled boneless and skinless chicken thigh.
Common add-ins include Sliced Almonds, Crushed Macadamia Nuts, Sliced Carrots, Mandarin Oranges, Wonton Strips, Green Onions, and Fresh Cilantro. These toppings add a delightful array of textures and flavors to your salad, enhancing its overall appeal and taste.
Step 1 In a bowl, combine sweetener, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, vegetable oil, salt, and black pepper, whisk well, and place in a dressing container.
Step 2 If adding optional shredded chicken, place chicken in boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Use a fork or knife to pull chicken.
Step 3 Wash and cut iceberg lettuce, place in a bowl, top with shredded chicken and additional salad toppings. Shake or mix dressing and pour before serving.
Elevate your meal by pairing this Chinese chicken salad with Teriyaki Chicken or Teriyaki Salmon Bowl. Their savory-sweet flavors complement the tangy dressing perfectly. Complete the meal with a bowl of Japanese Cream Corn Soup or Tofu Miso Soup for added depth and warmth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute the chicken with another protein, like tofu or shrimp?
While you can experiment with alternative proteins like tofu or shrimp, the recipe is specifically crafted for chicken, which offers a hearty and savory base that complements the flavors of the dressing and other ingredients.
Can I use pre-packaged salad greens instead of chopping my own lettuce?
Yes, you have the option to use pre-packaged salad greens if convenience is a priority. However, for the freshest and most vibrant salad experience, chopping your own lettuce is recommended.
Can I use a different type of vinegar if I don't have rice vinegar on hand?
While substitutions are possible, it's advisable to stick with rice vinegar if available. Rice vinegar contributes significantly to the characteristic flavor profile of the dressing, offering a delicate acidity and subtle sweetness that complements the other ingredients perfectly.
To store leftover dressing, simply pour it into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and place it in the refrigerator. The dressing should remain fresh and flavorful for 4 to 6 weeks.
Other Salad Recipes You Might Like
Watch How To Make It
Chinese Chicken Salad
- 4-5 Leaves Iceberg Lettuce
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Chicken optional, can substitute with rotisserie chicken
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Whisk Toasted Sesame Oil, sweetener, rice vinegar, vegetable oil, salt, black pepper in a bowl.
- Prepare, wash, dry lettuce leaves as needed. Cut into 1/2 inch width bite sizes and place into a bowl.
- If making optional shredded chicken, boil chicken breast or thigh in boiling water for 10 minutes. Use a knife or fork to pull chicken.
- Add shredded chicken, additional toppings on salad and drizzle dressing on top. Note - make sure you vigorously shake/mix dressing prior to serving as settling will occur.