Since chaffles have taken the low-carb/keto world by storm, I thought it’d be good to share our basic Crispy Keto Chaffle recipe with all our visitors! There are many variations of the chaffle, but this is the simple version we use when we’re looking for a toasted bread replacement.
A chaffle, which means cheese + waffle, is really just that. It’s cheese and egg cooked in a waffle iron and perfect for those that are looking for a low-carb/keto bread alternative. Of course, there are many bread alternatives on the web already, but most require mixing and long baking times.
The chaffle is quick and easy with only 2 ingredients and takes about 5 minutes per Chaffle from start to finish. It’s delicious and also very convenient.
You can use this chaffle recipe for anything you would normally use sandwich bread for. Our favorites are tuna sandwiches, egg salad sandwiches, and your classic deli meat sandwich! Really, the possibilities are endless and I would love to see what you guys come up with so make sure to tag us when you share your pics on social media.
For this recipe, I use shredded Cheddar Jack cheese but you can experiment with different types of cheese to see what best suits your taste buds. Note – any white cheese like Monterey Jack or Mozzarella will burn/char quicker so be mindful of the cooking times.
The base chaffle will run ~1g net carbs per waffle due to the anti-caking ingredients found in most pre-shredded store bought cheese. However, if you are strict on your carbs, you can shred your own block cheese which will net you ~0g net carbs per waffle.
For this dish, the only item you will need is a waffle maker. We use the Dash Mini Waffle Maker because it makes the perfect size waffles, but any waffle maker will do.
Note – If you are preparing multiple servings, we would recommend using 2 Dash Mini Waffle Maker simultaneously to reduce the cooking time.
Now if you’re ready, let’s chaffle!
Prepping Time 1M
Cooking Time 6M
Total Time 7M
Net Carb/Waffle ~1g
Servings 2 Waffles
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Plug-in Dash Mini Waffle Maker to pre-heat.
3) In a small mixing bowl, beat egg.
4) Place about 1/8 cup shredded cheese on to the Dash Mini Waffle Maker, followed by ~1/2 of the egg mixture (enough to cover the iron) and another 1/8 cup of shredded cheese on top. Close lid and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Repeat for as many waffles you are making.
5) Let the chaffle cool for a few minutes before assembling your favorite sandwich.
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Crispy Keto Chaffle
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Plug-in Dash Mini Waffle Maker to pre-heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Place about 1/8 cup Shredded Cheese on to the Dash Mini Waffle Maker, followed by ~1/2 of the egg mixture (enough to cover the iron) and another 1/8 cup of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese on top. Close lid and cook for 3 - 4 minutes. Repeat for as many waffles you are making.
- Let the chaffle cool for a few minutes before assembling your favorite sandwich.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*