Here’s the famous classic Chinese soup that probably most people are familiar with, the egg drop soup! It’s served in Chinese restaurants and made in the homes of millions across the world for a simple reason, it’s simple and delish!
I thought it’d be a perfect recipe for LCA because well, it’s Asian and what do you know, it could be made low-carb/keto friendly!
There are many different recipes for this classic soup but here is our version of delicious, comforting egg drop soup. This also happens to be one of our go-to soups when we’re having some homemade low-carb/keto Chinese food!
We start with your basic chicken broth base and from there, add the simple seasonings. Since the traditional version is thickened with corn starch, so we went ahead replaced that with some Xanthan Gum. Following that, we simply slowly pour the eggs into the soup and viola, you have yourself a low-carb/keto egg drop soup!
It’s really that easy and after 7 ingredients and 8 minutes later, you can be enjoying this soup at your home too! The delicate flavors pair perfectly with many light Asian dishes and will definitely keep you nice and toasty during the colder months of the year!
On a note, we used 33% less sodium chicken broth for this recipe, so our recipe called for slightly more salt. If you use regular chicken broth, be sure to adjust salt accordingly so it’s not too salty.
Also note to use chicken broth and not chicken stock. The main flavors of this soup are derived from the chicken broth, so replacing that with chicken stock will essentially make it tasteless. If you’re wondering, chicken broth is cooked with other flavors and vegetables, whereas chicken stock is just salt, chicken bone and water.
Now, let’s get started!Prepping Time 3M
Cook Time 5M
Total Time 8M
Net Carb/Serving ~1g
1) Gather all the ingredients.
3) Meanwhile, beat eggs in a bowl.
4) Finely chop green onions and set aside.
5) When chicken broth reaches a boil, turn off heat and immediately stream eggs into the pot while stirring soup slowly in a circle.
6) Ladle soup in bowls, top with green onions and serve hot!
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Egg Drop Soup!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Egg Drop Soup
- 2 Cans Chicken Broth 14.5oz per can
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/8 tsp Salt (dash)
- 1/8 tsp White Pepper (dash)
- 1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 Stalk Green Onion
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Heat chicken broth in a large stove top pot over medium heat. Add soy sauce, salt, white pepper and xanthan gum and bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs in a bowl.
- Finely chop green onions and set aside.
- When chicken broth reaches a boil, turn off heat and immediately stream eggs into the pot while stirring soup slowly in a circle.
- Ladle soup in bowls, top with green onions and serve hot!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*