This Hawaiian poke recipe is for all you poke lovers out there. This recipe is a simple and basic poke recipe that is easy to make and amazingly delicious!
Poke, pronounced (poh-KAY), began with fisherman who would season leftover fish pieces and eat it as a snack.
Contrary to popular belief, traditional poke does not contain any soy sauce. Instead, it was seasoned with only Hawaiian salt, seaweed and ground candlenut meat.
Throughout the years as poke became increasingly more popular, the dish has taken a life of its own. Modern poke can be found to include avocado, sriracha, mushrooms, masago, and many other different variations.
The mixture is just enough to bring out the wonderful flavors of the fish without overpowering it.
You can eat poke straight out of the bowl or use other low-carb/keto accompaniments such as baked low carb tortilla chips, pork rinds or just on top of some fresh greens.
Best of all, poke is a low-carb/keto treat that is simple and easy to make!
For this recipe, the special ingredients you would need to pick up are Seaweed Mix, Sesame Oil, Coarse Sea Salt, Toasted Sesame Seed, Togarashi and sushi/sashimi grade yellowfin/ahi tuna. You can pick up most of these on Amazon or a local Asian supermarket.
Note – for the tuna, you can use either fresh or frozen/saku blocks but just make sure it does state ‘sushi/sashimi grade’ on the package.
Now, let’s get started!
Prepping Time 5M
Marination Time 10M
Total Time 15M
Net Carb/Serv ~1g
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Place dried Seaweed Mix into a bowl with water. Re-hydration should take around 2-5 minutes.
3) Dry ahi/yellowfin very well, chop into 1/2″ x 1/2″ cubes and set aside. Note – make sure the ahi/yellowfin is very dry, otherwise it’ll dilute the flavors.
5) Add ahi/yellowfin tuna into the small mixing bowl and gently combine.
7) Gently press a sheet of saran/food wrap down onto the poke mix and refrigerate for 10 minutes to meld the flavors together.
8) Finely chop green onions and set aside.
9) After 10 minutes, gently mix in chopped green onions, transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy chilled!
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Homemade Hawaiian Style Poke!!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Homemade Hawaiian Style Poke
- 1 lb Sushi/Sashimi Grade Ahi/Yellowfin Tuna
- 2 tbsp Seaweed Mix
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Coarse Sea Salt MUST be coarse otherwise will be too salty
- 1/4 tsp Togarashi can replace with ground red pepper
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame Seed
- 1/2 Stalk Green Onion
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Place dried Seaweed Mix into a bowl with water. Re-hydration should take around 2-5 minutes.
- Chop ahi/yellowfin into 1/2" x 1/2" cubes and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Sesame Oil, Coarse Sea Salt, Togarashi, Toasted Sesame Seed and mix well.
- Add ahi/yellowfin tuna into the small mixing bowl and gently combine.
- After Seaweed Mix is re-hydrated, squeeze out excess water from Seaweed Mix, add gently combine with poke mix.
- Gently press a sheet of saran/food wrap down onto the poke mix and refrigerate for 10 minutes to meld the flavors together.
- After 10 minutes, transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy chilled!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*