If you’re a fan of sushi restaurants, the chances are you’ve seen miso soup somewhere on the menu. But in certain sushi restaurants, they sometimes have two options for their miso soup.
The ‘standard‘ one usually comes with tofu and seaweed, and the ‘premium’ one that comes with clams and a ‘premium’ price attached to it!
Although it might seem redundant to have two offerings of miso soup, the clams really do add an entirely different umami taste to the soup. So if you’re interested in trying this version of miso soup, look no further then this Japanese Asari Clam Miso Soup recipe that you can make at home for a fraction of the price!
You’d probably be surprised at how much flavor the calms add to the soup! It takes a soup that’s already pretty loaded with umami and just brims it to the top with briny seafood umami making this Japanese Asari Clam Miso Soup oh so delish! It’s a great soup to drink all year around, but definitely shines bright in the winter months!
Now, let’s get cooking!
Prepping Time 10M
Cooking Time 2M
Total Time 15M
Net Carb/Serv ~2g
Serving 2 Bowl
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) De-grit clams by soaking them into a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes.
3) Finley chop green onions and set aside.
4) Make 2 cups of dashi (how to make dashi here).
5) Bring dashi to a boil in stove top pot.
6) Remove clams from bowl of water and add into stove top pot with dashi. Cook until all the calms have opened up, about 2-3 minutes.
8) Add in green onions and serve. Note – if some clams do not open during the cooking process, discard and DO NOT consume.
Hope you enjoy your low-carb Japanese Asari Clam Miso Soup!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Japanese Asari Clam Miso Soup
- 1/2 lb Live Manila/Little Neck Clams
- 2 Cups Dashi
- 2 tbsp Miso
- 1 Stalk Green Onions
- Gather all the ingredients.
- De-grit clams by soaking them into a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes.
- Finley chop green onions and set aside.
- Make 2 cups of dashi (how to make dashi here).
- Bring dashi to a boil in stove top pot.
- Remove clams from bowl of water and add into stove top pot with dashi. Cook until all the calms have opened up, about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Inside a strainer, add miso and mix into water to dissolve (never boil miso as it will lose its umami flavor).
- Add in green onions and serve. Note - if some clams do not open during the cooking process, discard and DO NOT consume.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*