I always credit my mom for a lot of our recipes here on LCA, but my dad did make some dishes as well. His dish were simple n’ easy and sometimes simple n’ easy is best! Just like this Japanese Cabbage Salad recipe!
I remember eating this salad the first time and couldn’t stop, so I asked my dad what was in the dressing and his simple reply was ‘Ponzu‘. So that’s how the base of this recipe started and we built upon that!
It’s super easy to make and literally only takes 3 minutes and 5 ingredients to put together! If you happen to have pre-shredded cabbage, it’ll even take you less time to make this delicious and addicting cabbage salad!
Cabbage in it’s natural form does carry that very ‘green’ taste to it, but once you add in some salty zest into the mix, it becomes something strangely addictive! And since cabbages are packed with vitamins C & K and plenty of antioxidants, not a bad thing to get addicted to!
So next time you are in the mood to enjoy some greens with your meal, check out my dad’s super easy n’ simple Japanese Cabbage Salad, all at a low-carb/keto friendly ~4g net carb per serving!
For this one, you will need only need Ponzu and Sesame Oil, both which can be picked up on Amazon or local Asian supermarket. Note – make sure the Ponzu you’re using isn’t sweet. The brand we prefer is Mizkan for recipe, but unfortunately Amazon doesn’t offer it at a reasonable price.
Now, let’s get started!
Prepping Time 3M
Total Time 3M
Net Carb/Serv ~4g
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Shred cabbage with a shredder and transfer to serving plate.
3) Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of cabbage. Note – if you only have whole almonds, you can use a food processor to grind them into smaller chunks.
4) Finely chop green onions and sprinkle on top of the cabbage.
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Japanese Cabbage Salad!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Japanese Cabbage Salad
- 4 Cups Cabbage Shredded
- 2 tbsp Ponzu
- 2 tbsp Almonds Sliced or Crushed
- 1/2 Stalk Green Onions
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Shred cabbage with a shredder and transfer to serving plate.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of cabbage. Note - if you only have whole almonds, you can use a food processor to grind them into smaller chunks.
- Finely chop green onions and sprinkle on top of the cabbage.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Sesame Oil and Ponzu. Mix well and pour over cabbage.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*