The best cabbage salad recipe, this Japanese cabbage salad is full of fresh crunchy shredded cabbage and tossed with a delicious ponzu dressing. A simple and easy no fuss cabbage salad recipe perfect with any meal!
You could even eat this cabbage salad by itself it’s that good!
What is Japanese Cabbage Salad?
Fresh shredded cabbage tossed in a ponzu dressing and sprinkled with sliced almonds. Delicious by itself or alongside any main dish.
What is ponzu and what kind do you recommend?
Ponzu is a Japanese citrus soy flavored sauce. It can be found in most Japanese grocery stores or online. I prefer the taste of Mizkan Ponzu, but feel free to use any brand.
What are the health benefits of cabbage?
Cabbage is a low calorie vegetable that is rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and K. It also contains antioxidants that may help reduce inflammation among other health benefits. Cabbage is rich in insoluble fiber, which improves digestion and promotes healthy bacteria growth in your digestive tract.
Overall, cabbage is a great vegetable to add to any diet and provides great health benefits.
What do you use to shred cabbage for cabbage salad?
The easiest way to make cabbage salad is to use a mandolin. This way you can shred cabbage thinly and evenly.
If you don’t have a mandolin, you can also just use a knife to thinly slice the cabbage leaves.
Tips for making this Japanese cabbage salad recipe?
- Use pre-shredded cabbage for ease.
- Use 100% pure sesame oil for the best flavor and taste.
- Add dressing just before serving to prevent discoloring and texture loss of cabbage.
Did you have another healthy Japanese cabbage recipes I can try?
- Japanese Style Roll Cabbage
- Japanese Pork and Napa Cabbage Soup
- Mom’s Japanese Cabbage Salad
- Miso Pork Belly Kimchi Wrap
- Keto Cream Cheese Dumplings
Now, let’s get started making this Japanese Cabbage Salad recipe!
- Prepping Time 3M
- Total Time 3M
- Net Carb/Serv ~4g
- Servings 2
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Shred cabbage with a shredder and transfer to serving plate.
3) Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of cabbage. Note – if you only have whole almonds, you can use a food processor to grind them into smaller chunks.
4) Finely chop green onions and sprinkle on top of the cabbage.
Hope you enjoy your Japanese Cabbage Salad!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Japanese Cabbage Salad
- 4 Cups Cabbage Shredded
- 2 tbsp Ponzu
- 2 tbsp Almonds Sliced or Crushed
- 1/2 Stalk Green Onions
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Shred cabbage with a shredder and transfer to serving plate.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of cabbage. Note - if you only have whole almonds, you can use a food processor to grind them into smaller chunks.
- Finely chop green onions and sprinkle on top of the cabbage.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Sesame Oil and Ponzu. Mix well and pour over cabbage.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*