This recipe was born from one of those late night snack urges that we had. After putting the kids to sleep, we were hungry so we ventured off to the kitchen and peaked inside the fridge to see what we could make. All that was there was some pork belly and Japanese cucumber.
Now, although this sounds like a very odd combination, something about the pork fat and the crispiness of the cucumbers really pairs well together. I remember long ago I ate an appetizer at a restaurant that used this combination and it was really good.
Using what I remembered the taste to be like as the starting point, we started throwing some stuff together and created this recipe! It is simple yet really offers all the complexity of a great Japanese dish!
So next time you are in the mood to mix up your salad game a little bit, definitely give this one a try!!
This dish is low-carb/keto friendly at 2g carbs per serving, so feel free to make it the main dish if you desire!
The recipe offers a refreshing crunch from the cucumber followed with a perfectly balanced profile of salty sourness and an umami finish.
The special ingredients you would need for this one would be Ponzu, Sesame Oil and umeboshi (Japanese pickled plum), you can get Ponzu and Sesame Oil on Amazon and all of the ingredients at a local Asian supermarket.
Note – for the pork belly, you can get this at a local Asian supermarket marked for the use for sukiyaki or shabu shabu. If you cannot access a local Asian supermarket, you can request your local butcher to slice this for you. The thickness would be around the same as thin bacon.
Also, if you cannot attain fresh umeboshi, you can replace with the ume paste version. Umeboshi comes in different variations from traditional, shiso, sweet and honey. You can use whichever fits your low-carb/keto needs.
Now, let’s get cooking!
Prepping Time 5M
Cooking Time 3M
Total Time 10M
Net Carb/Serv ~2g
1) Gather all the ingredients.
3) De-pit umeboshi, finely dice and set aside.
5) Cut pork belly into 1/2 inch width pieces and set aside.
6) In a large frying pan, add Sesame Oil and bring up to temperature over medium heat. Once oil starts to lightly smoke, carefully add pork belly followed by grated ginger. Mix well and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 2-3 minutes.
Hope you enjoy our Keto Japanese Cucumber Pork Belly Pickled Plum Salad!
Japanese Cucumber Pork Belly Pickled Plum Salad
- 1/2 lb Thinly Sliced Pork Belly
- 1/4 Inch Ginger
- 2 Whole Umeboshi (Japanese pickled plum)
- 2 tbsp Ponzu
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Whole Persian/Japanese Cucumbers
- Gather all the ingredients.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel the skin off the cucumbers every other stroke. Slice cucumber into 1/4 inch thick pieces and place in mixing bowl.
- De-pit umeboshi, finely dice and set aside.
- Grind ginger down with a grinder or a garter and set aside.
- Cut pork belly into 1/2 inch width pieces and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, add sesame oil and bring up to temperature over medium heat. Once oil starts to lightly smoke, carefully add pork belly followed by grated ginger. Mix well and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 2-3 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cooked pork belly (along with all the liquids from the frying pan), diced umeboshi and ponzu. Mix well and transfer to serving bowl. Enjoy immediately!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*