We always enjoy having some side dishes to go along with our meals, especially ones that you can make quickly alongside your entree. Our normal choice is some kind of green salad, but when we have some leftover eggs laying around from breakfast, we’ll quickly whip up this Japanese Egg Salad instead!
This recipe is pretty similar to that of your American egg salad, but rather than using potatoes and celery, the Japanese version uses green onions and Persian/Japanese cucumbers.
If you’re wondering why we specify Persian/Japanese cucumber, these are much more crunchier than to that of your American cucumbers. And since the cucumbers are in there for the added texture, it’s super important that they’re crunchy!
Also another big difference is the mayo used. Kewpie Mayo tastes very different than your standard American type mayo. It’s much creamier and a sweeter and really does make a big difference on most of the dishes we have on here. So if you do opt to sub Kewpie Mayo for your Hellman’s or Best Food, just note it might taste different!
So like most types of eggs salads, we start with breaking down your hard boiled eggs and mixing it with mayo. As we mentioned, the Japanese egg salad uses Kewpie Mayo which is essential to make this version of egg salad.
From there, we just add in the chopped deli meat, cucumbers, salt black pepper, and mix it all together to create your Japanese egg salad! Packed with protein and very little carbs!
As for the recipe itself, it’s super easy and to make and very low-carb/keto friendly at ~2g net card per serving! And most importantly, we hope you like it!
Now, let’s get started!Prepping Time 5M
Cooking time 15M
Total Time 20M
Net Carb/Serv ~2g
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Prepare hard boiled eggs cooked well. Read how to make easy peel hard boiled eggs here.
3) Cut cucumber into 1/4 x 1/4 inch cube and set aside.
4) Cut deli ham/turkey into 1/4 x 1/4 inch bites and set aside.
6) Finely chop green onions and sprinkle on top of the egg salad.
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Japanese Egg Salad!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Japanese Egg Salad
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 2 tbsp Kewpie Mayo
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 slice Deli Ham/Turkey
- 1/4 Whole Persian or Japanese Cucumber
- 1/2 Stalk Green Onion
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Prepare hard boiled eggs cooked well. Read how to make easy peel hard boiled eggs here.
- Cut cucumber into 1/4 x 1/4 inch cube and set aside.
- Cut deli ham/turkey into 1/4 x 1/4 inch bites and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, smash eggs with a fork into fine pieces. Add cucumber, deli ham, Kewpie Mayo, salt and pepper and mix well and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Finely chop green onions and sprinkle on top of the egg salad.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*