This bacon cheddar cauliflower au gratin is full of cheesy, bacon goodness making it a real crowd-pleaser! Best of all, it’s quick, easy and low carb!
A cheesy cauliflower rice recipe that is a healthy alternative and perfect for a low carb, gluten-free or keto diet.
The bacon and cheese make this dish taste like a comforting breakfast but hearty enough for any meal of the day. This baked cauliflower rice gratin casserole also makes for a perfect side dish!
What is Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Gratin?
This simple and healthy casserole dish contains butter stir-fried cauliflower rice topped with cooked crispy bacon, then sprinkled generously with cheddar cheese and baked in the oven until golden brown. The use of cauliflower rice makes this comfort food not only healthy and low carb friendly, but also very filling!
What does bacon cheesy cauliflower rice gratin taste like?
This cauliflower gratin dish is full of bold savory flavors and topped with creamy melted cheese. You can also add your choice of veggies such as peas, carrots, broccoli and fresh cauliflower florets. A healthy and very filling low carb recipe!
Is cauliflower rice good for weight loss?
Compare to traditional white rice, cauliflower rice is the best weight loss substitution you can make! Cauliflower rice only contains 1/10th of the net carbs found in white rice and has nutritional benefits unlike the empty filler calories found in white rice.
How many calories are in cheesy cauliflower rice?
This baked cheesy cauliflower rice recipe has 5g of net carb per serving.
Is frozen cauliflower rice as good as fresh?
Yes! It works great in the recipes and you can use exactly only the amount you need. It also has a 30-month shelf life in the freezer.
What ingredients do I need to make cauliflower au gratin?
- Rice – use fresh or frozen cauliflower rice. You can usually find frozen cauliflower rice in most supermarkets.
- Bacon – any type of regular smoked bacon.
- Onion – white or brown onion.
- Butter – use unsalted butter.
- Salt – table salt or sea salt.
- Black Pepper – fresh or pre-ground black pepper.
- Cheddar Cheese – use pre-shredded cheddar cheese or sharp cheese of your choice.
- Green Onion – fresh green onion chopped.
How to make cheesy cauliflower rice gratin?
The instructions to make this recipe are very straightforward!
Add cauliflower rice and butter to a large skillet pan and cook under medium-high heat. Season with salt and black pepper and cook for 2 minutes and transfer contents to a baking dish.
In the same frying pan, add bacon and diced onions and cook until onions are browned.
Transfer contents to a baking dish followed by a generous sprinkle of cheddar cheese and bake for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Top with fresh chopped scallions.
Easy Hack – you can also replace the bacon with bacon bits to reduce the time it takes to make this recipe and just cook the onions with cauliflower rice.
What is the nutrition information for this cauliflower rice casserole recipe?
- 370 Calories
- 10g Carbohydrates
- 5g Fiber
- 15g Protein
- 31g Fat
- 74mg Cholesterol
- 661mg Sodium
- 128mg Potassium
- 215mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
- 618ui Vitamin A
- 2mg Vitamin C
Looking for other cauliflower rice recipes?
- Cajun Cauliflower Rice
- Spinach Mushroom Cauliflower Rice Curry
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Rice Bacon Risotto
- Japanese Chicken Gratin
Now, let’s get making this Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Gratin recipe!
- Prep Time 5M
- Cook Time 5M
- Baking Time 5M
- Total Time 15M
- Net Carb/Serving ~5g
- Servings 4
- 3 Cups Cauliflower Rice (or rice of choice)
- 6 Slices Bacon
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Yellow Onion (about 1/2 of an onion)
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Stalk Green Onion
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Preheat oven to broil 500F.
3) Chop onion, bacon and green onions as shown below.
4) In a Teflon frying pan, melt butter over high heat. Once the butter is melted, stir in the cauliflower rice, sprinkle in salt and black pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Once 2 minutes have passed, evenly transfer cauliflower into baking dish.
5) In the same Teflon frying pan, add chopped bacon on high heat and cook for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, add in chopped onions and cook for 1-2 minutes or until onions start to slightly brown. Once done, use a slotted spoon/spatula to evenly transfer on top of cauliflower rice. Note – transfer the contents only and discard oils/juices.
6) Next sprinkle cheddar cheese on top ensuring everything is covered. Transfer to oven (middle rack) and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
7) Top with chopped green onions and serve hot!
Hope you enjoy your Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Gratin!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy low carb inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Bacon Cheddar Cauliflower Gratin
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to broil 500F.
- Chop onion, bacon and green onions as shown below.
- In a Teflon frying pan, melt butter over high heat. Once the butter is melted, stir in the cauliflower rice, sprinkle in salt and black pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Once 2 minutes have passed, evenly transfer cauliflower into baking dish.
- In the same Teflon frying pan, add chopped bacon on high heat and cook for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, add in chopped onions and cook for 1-2 minutes or until onions start to slightly brown. Once done, use a slotted spoon/spatula to evenly transfer on top of cauliflower rice. Note - transfer the contents only and discard oils/juices.
- Next sprinkle cheddar cheese on top ensuring everything is covered. Transfer to oven (middle rack) and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with chopped green onions and serve hot!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*