Crab meat, cream cheese, and sliced avocado are rolled in a thinly sliced cucumber. This no rice California roll with cream cheese makes for a delicious appetizer or healthy low carb snack. Although many low carb sushi rolls use cauliflower rice, this recipe just includes crab meat, cream cheese and sliced avocado.
How to make Cream Cheese California Sushi Roll?
- Mix the ingredients for the crab, sweetener, mayonnaise, and vinegar and stir to mix.
- Place a spoonful of the mix onto a slice of cucumber. Add in your desired toppings like cream cheese, avocado, cucumber and roll them together.
- Dip the rolls into soy sauce and wasabi. If you are looking for a bigger kick, a little sriracha or spicy mayo goes perfectly on these rolls.
We didn’t use any nori sheet because we found once the moist crab mixture touched the seaweed, it became soggy over time. Cucumber held up much better for texture.
What is in a California sushi roll?
- Crab Meat in Water – buy canned crab meat. We have found higher-quality crab meat will contain fewer shells in the crab meat.
- Mayonnaise – use Japanese Kewpie Mayo. Can substitute with regular mayo but will alter flavor.
- Sweetener – use your preferred sweetener.
- Rice Vinegar – Rice Vinegar distilled from rice used in Asian cuisine. Can sub with distilled white vinegar.
- Cucumber – thinly sliced using a vegetable peeler.
- Avocado – use ripe, sliced avocado.
- Cream Cheese – cut into long cubes.
- Jalapeno – used to give California rolls a little kick. Optional.
- Toasted Sesame Seeds – optional garnish.
Looking for other low carb sushi recipes?
- Lobster Sushi Rolls
- Soy Paper Spicy Tuna Rolls
- Cucumber Wrapped Philly Roll
- Homemade Hawaiian Style Ahi Poke
- Spicy Tuna on Crispy Shiso Leaves
Cream Cheese California Sushi Roll
Cream Cheese California Roll
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Peel the avocado and cut into 1/4" slices longways and and then again in half short ways per picture below. You will need 24 pieces.
- Cut cream cheese into 1 oz slices (using the marker on the cream cheese wrapper). Then cut into 1 oz sticks into 1/8s, so each 1 oz of cream cheese will yield 8 pieces and set aside. You will need 24 pieces.
- De seed jalapeno (leave some seeds in there for the spice) and finely dice.
- Drain canned crab meat from water VERY well by pressing the meat down with a spoon. There can be no water in there or it will affect the end texture. In a mixing bowl , add crab meat, Kewpie Mayo, sweetener, Rice Vinegar, and diced jalapenos. Mix well until potato salad-like consistency.
- On a plate, sprinkle Toasted Sesame Seed and set aside.
- Use a slicer to make 24 thinly sliced cucumbers long ways. Place the sliced cucumbers on top of a paper towel and use another paper towel to pat dry. Once dried, transfer cucumber slices on top of the sprinkled Toasted Sesame Seed as pictured below.
- In the middle bottom half of each sliced cucumber, place a piece of cream cheese and avocado. Follow this up with about 1/2 tsp of the crab mix as shown on picture below.
- Grabbing the bottom of each cucumber, carefully roll upwards to form roll. Repeat with all the rolls and transfer to serving plate. Serve with optional dipping Soy Sauce.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*