Perfect for the winter holidays, this hot creamy coconut keto hot chocolate is sweet, decadent and rich in cocoa and coconut flavors!
If you love chocolate and coconut, you will love this deliciously rich coconut hot chocolate! But if coconut isn’t your thing, you can make some regular keto hot chocolate with an almond milk base instead.
Honestly, I love them both as they yield different flavors so it depends on what you’re in the mood for!
I first decided to make a keto sugar-free hot chocolate because my kids were asking for hot chocolate while watching a Christmas movie and all I had on hand was cocoa powder and almond milk.
So I mixed everything together, put it on the stove with some monkfruit, aka keto sweetener, and low and behold, they loved it!
Since my previous version was a success, I thought why not make a version using coconut milk and coconut cream to bring out the ultimate creamy keto hot chocolate?
And how did it come out? Absolutely delish!
What’s the difference between coconut milk, almond milk, and dairy milk and what’s keto friendly?
Out of the three, only coconut milk and almond milk (unsweetened) are low in carbs. Dairy milk contains about 12g of carbs per cup compared to almond and coconut milk which is ~ 1.5 g of carbs per cup. Coconut milk has a more rich and creamy texture compared to almond milk and the flavors of coconuts are definitely in there. I would say almond milk is more neutral with the flavors.
What kind of cocoa powder do you use for keto hot chocolate?
I recommend premium quality cocoa powder since it yields a richer cocoa flavor, especially when making hot chocolate. However, regular cocoa powder works just fine as well. Just make sure there isn’t any sugar added for keto low carb versions.
Is cocoa powder keto low carb friendly?
Unsweetened cocoa powder is absolutely keto and low carb friendly – 1 tbsp equals 1 net carb.
What kind of sweetener do you recommend for keto hot chocolate?
My favorite sweetener is Monkfruit Erythritol Blend, but feel free to use your favorite keto sweetener.
Were there any other keto hot drink recipes I could try?
- Keto Hot Matcha Latte
- Best Keto Hot Chocolate
- Keto Low Carb Turmeric Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Keto Low Carb Golden Milk
- Full Collection of Hot Drink Recipes
Now, if you’re ready, let’s get making some winter perfect Keto Creamy Coconut Hot Chocolate!
- Cooking Time 3M
- Total Time 3M
- Net Carb/Cup ~2g
- Servings 2 Cups
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Using a stove top pot, add Coconut Milk, Cocoa Powder, Monkfruit Erythritol Blend, coconut cream, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix well and heat to preferred drinking temperature on medium-low heat. Note – do not let it boil.
3) Transfer to a heat resistant cup and enjoy warm.
Hope you enjoy your Keto Creamy Coconut Hot Chocolate!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of keto inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Keto Creamy Coconut Hot Chocolate
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp Monkfruit Erythritol Blend or Sweetener of Choice
- 2 tbsp Coconut Cream
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Using a stove top pot, add Coconut Milk, Cocoa Powder, Monkfruit Erythritol Blend, coconut cream, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix well and heat to preferred drinking temperature on medium-low heat. Note - do not let it boil.
- Transfer to a heat resistant cup and enjoy warm.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*