Reenergize your morning with a cup of this warm creamy matcha latte! We’ll show you how easy it’s to make a matcha latte at home using matcha powder and almond milk or your favorite low carb milk substitute.
This matcha latte recipe is the perfect drink to start or end your day. It’s so easy and with only a few ingredients you can have a delicious uplifting cup of matcha green tea latte.
Follow along and learn how to make this homemade matcha latte that tastes like you bought it from a fancy matcha shop.
What is Hot Matcha Latte?
Matcha powder is mixed with your choice of milk or milk alternative, then sweetener is added if desired.
What does matcha taste like?
Matcha has a bold, earthy taste that’s slightly bitter with a hint of sweetness.
Are matcha lattes good for you?
Matcha has many health benefits which give you even more reason to make this delicious drink including promoting relaxation, reducing stress, as well as boosting concentration and alertness.
The green tea leaves used to make matcha also contain antioxidants and less caffeine than a cup of coffee.
Are matcha lattes good for weight loss?
Studies have shown that drinking matcha increases metabolism and encourages fat burning.
Which matcha is best for lattes?
When purchasing matcha powder, notice there are different grades of matcha. There are culinary grade and ceremonial grade and their prices differ greatly.
- Culinary is less expensive and will work fine for this recipe.
- Ceremonial grade is more expensive and is also very bright vibrant green in color compared to culinary grade.
The flavor and taste differences between the two are very subtle. Caffeine levels are similar.
What ingredients do I need to make a matcha green tea latte?
- Matcha Powder – you can use ceremonial grade matcha or culinary grade matcha. Ceremony grade is much more expensive but has a vibrant green color. Matcha can be found in most Asian supermarkets as well as on Amazon.
- Sweetener – to keep our drinks sugar-free and low carb, our preferred sweetener is monkfruit erythritol blend. It is low carb, keto friendly and has 0 calories. Feel free to use your preferred sweetener or regular cane sugar, honey, agave, or even maple syrup.
- Hot Water – roughly 175F or 80C.
- Milk – use your choice of milk or dairy-free milk alternative. We like to use almond milk for its high protein and low carb properties.
- Heavy Cream – can also use heavy whipping cream or half and half.
How to make a matcha latte with matcha powder?
Add matcha powder, sweetener and hot water to a cup or bowl and whisk using a matcha whisk or bamboo whisk until liquid turns dark green, and frothy, and no clumps are present.
Combine milk of choice and heavy cream into a microwaveable safe cup and transfer to microwave for 60 seconds until warm.
Pour warmed almond milk and heavy cream slowly and whisk until well combined. Enjoy warm!
What milk is best for a matcha latte?
You can use your choice of milk such as dairy or dairy alternatives. Some ideas include:
- Almond Milk
- Oat milk
- Coconut milk
- Nut Milk
- Soy Milk
What is the nutrition information for this matcha latte recipe?
- 93 Calories
- 2g Carbohydrates
- 1g Fiber
- 3g Protein
- 9g Fat
- 21mg Cholesterol
- 333mg Sodium
- 0mg Potassium
- 300mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
- 321ui Vitamin A
- 0mg Vitamin C
Looking for other matcha recipes?
- Matcha Basque Burnt Cheesecake
- Iced Matcha Latte
- Matcha Chocolate Macadamia Nuts
- Matcha Green Energy Smoothie
- Matcha Chia Pudding
Now, let’s get making this Hot Matcha Latte recipe!
- Prep Time 1
- Total Time 1M
- Net Carb/Serv ~1g
- Servings 1
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) In a heat resistant cup, add Matcha Powder, sweetener and hot water. Whisk until liquid turns dark green. Note – you can just use a metal whisk if you don’t have wooden matcha whisk.
3) Combine Almond Milk and heavy cream into a microwaveable safe cup and transfer to microwave for 60 seconds until warmed.
4) Pour warmed Almond Milk and heavy cream slowly and whisk until well combined. Enjoy warm!
Hope you enjoy your Hot Matcha Latte!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Hot Matcha Latte
- 1/2 tsp Matcha Powder
- 1 tbsp Sweetener monkfruit erythritol blend, sugar or sweetener of choice
- 3 tbsp Hot Water
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Heavy Cream
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In a heat resistant cup, add Matcha Powder, sweetener and hot water. Whisk until liquid turns dark green. Note - you can just use a metal whisk if you don't have wooden matcha whisk.
- Combine Almond Milk and heavy cream into a microwaveable safe cup and transfer to microwave for 60 seconds until warmed.
- Pour warmed Almond Milk and heavy cream slowly and whisk until well combined. Enjoy warm!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*