These Cheese and Green Onion Rolls offer a flavorful twist on traditional bread. These rolls are crafted from a keto-friendly fathead dough base, enriched with the savory goodness of butter-sautéed green onions. While they have a dense and filling consistency, they burst with the robust flavors of onions and cheese.
With just 2 net carbs per serving, these keto and low-carb-friendly rolls are a quick and easy delight, requiring only 10 simple ingredients and 20 minutes of your time. They make the perfect complement to any meal.
Table of Contents
How to make Cheese and Green Onion Rolls?
- Begin by preparing the onion mixture: Cook chopped green onions with butter, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, and garlic powder.
- In another bowl, microwave mozzarella and cream cheese until melted in 15-second intervals.
- Mix the melted cheese mixture with the dry ingredients to create a dough.
- Add the cooked onion mix and thoroughly combine.
- Shape the dough into balls, place them on a baking mat. Brush each roll with beaten egg and bake for 15-17 minutes until the rolls are firm and achieve a delightful golden brown color.
Swap out the green onions for yellow or brown onions, or even shallots. This simple adjustment can provide a delightful twist and introduce a range of unique flavors to your keto cheese rolls.
What ingredients do I need to make Cheese and Green Onion Rolls?
- Almond Flour – fine ground Almond Flour for a keto, gluten-free and low-carb recipe.
- Baking Powder – standard Baking Powder to help the batter rise.
- Cream Cheese – use block cream cheese. Room temperature preferred.
- Mozzarella Cheese – pre-shredded dry mozzarella cheese. Do not use fresh mozzarella.
- Green Onion – finely chopped green onion scallions.
- Butter – salted or unsalted.
- Salt – sea salt preferred.
- Black Pepper – ground.
- Garlic Powder – dried ground garlic in powder form.
- Egg – beaten.
Add-Ins for Keto Cheese and Green Onion Rolls
- Chili Powder
- Onion Powder
- Seasoned Salt
- Cajun Seasoning
- Italian Seasoning
These versatile seasonings allow you to customize the taste to your preference, adding a personalized and delicious touch to your cheese rolls.
How to store leftovers?
For storing leftover, simply place them in an airtight container and refrigerate. They will stay fresh for up to 10-14 days. When you’re ready to enjoy them again, a quick reheat in the microwave will soften the rolls back up.
Looking for other cheese bread recipes?
- Garlic Butter Sea Salt Cheese Rolls
- Tomato Feta Cheese Rolls
- Bacon Cheese Rolls
- Cheddar Jalapeno Rolls
- Cheddar Bay Biscuit Rolls
Watch How To Make It
Cheese and Green Onion Rolls
- Gather all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with silicone baking mat (parchment paper works as well).
- Chop green onions and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, add butter on medium-low heat until melted. Once melted, add in chopped green onions, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes until tender and then remove from heat.
- Combine Almond Flour and baking powder in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a different large microwavable bowl, add shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave for 30-45 seconds, take out and stir, then microwave for 30-45 more seconds and stir again. Continue this process until the cheese is completely melted.
- Add the Almond Flour mixture into the cheese bowl while still warm, quickly knead with hands until dough like consistency and everything is fully combined. If dough cools too much just microwave for a few seconds, take out and knead again.
- Combine cooked green onions with cheese roll mix. Once combined, separate into 6 equal parts, form buns and place onto a silicone baking mat. Repeat until all the mix is used.
- Beat egg in a bowl and gently brush onto buns (egg wash).
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until buns are firm and slightly golden brown.