What do you do when you have a strong craving for sushi, but don’t have any of the ingredients to make it? You use this Poor Man’s Sushi recipe instead!
Believe it or not, canned tuna is actually a great substitute for the sashimi used to make sushi and it’s so easily accessible, you might even already have it in your pantry!
This one started by taking the base of a California roll mix, but instead of the crab, we replaced it with canned tuna. From there, we added the avocados, wrapped it in some seaweed topped with a drop of Sriracha and out came this Poor Man’s Sushi, a very fitting name if you ask me!
For this dish, I wanted to represent how we normally eat it which is more like a wrap, but you can also make this into a hand roll for presentation purposes if you like. Either way it’s simple to make and tastes delicious!
Now, let’s get started!
Prepping Time 5M
Total Time 5M
Net Carb/Serving ~1g
Servings 8 pieces
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Take avocado and cut into slices and set aside.
3) Drain canned tuna and place into a small mixing bowl.
5) Take sheet of Dried Seaweed and cut into fourths and plate.
6) Place a spoonful of tuna mixture followed by one avocado slice and a drop of Sriracha. Pick up like a wrap and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Poor Man’s Sushi!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Poor Man's Sushi
- 5 oz 1 Canned Tuna in Water (for tuna in oil, use less mayo)
- 3 tbsp Kewpie Mayo
- 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Whole Avocado
- 2 Full Sheets Dried Seaweed
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Take avocado and cut into slices and set aside.
- Drain canned tuna and place into a small mixing bowl.
- Add Kewpie mayo and soy sauce with the tuna and mix well.
- Take sheet of Dried Seaweed and cut into fourths and plate.
- Place a spoonful of tuna mixture followed by one avocado slice and a drop of Sriracha. Pick up like a wrap and enjoy!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*