Ahh, miso soup, the staple for most Japanese meals. It you don’t believe me, just Google ‘Japanese meals’ and more likely than not, you will see a bowl with a little cap on sitting on the right side of the main dish that contains miso soup!
But it’s a staple for very good reason, it pairs well with any dish and there are so many different ways to make it.
I’ve seen people put tofu, spinach, seaweed, even Chinese cabbage, but I have never seen someone make it the way I do – with eggs!
It’s really easy to make and a great way to get your protein in the morning. There’s nothing like a nice bowl of hot miso egg soup to warm you up in the middle of Winter (or sweat out the germs in the middle of summer)!
Now, here in the States, it seems the health benefits of miso/soybean are debated, however in Japan, it is considered to one of those secret ingredients to live a longer life!
Aside from being packed with folic acid and many vitamins, the fact that it’s fermented promotes probiotic growth which is universally agreed upon as positive health benefit!
This recipe is low-carb/keto friendly with about ~2g of net carbs per severing and is filled with real umami drawn from bonito flakes and packed with ~8g protein a bowl. It’ll make a great side to any meal!
Now, let’s get started!
Prepping Time 5M
Cook Time 5M
Total Time 10M
Net Carb/Serv ~2g
Servings 2 Bowls
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Finley chop green onions and set aside.
3) In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and set aside.
5) Bring Dashi to slow boil (barely reaching boiling point), then reduce Dashi heat to low and add 2 beaten eggs into stove top pot. Mix continuously until eggs are cooked. Note – if you prefer well cooked eggs, bring soup to a full boil then reduce to simmer.
7) Add in green onions and serve.
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Protein Miso Soup!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Protein Miso Soup
- 2 Cups Dashi
- 2 tbsp Miso
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Stalk Green Onions
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Finley chop green onions and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and set aside.
- Make 2 cups of Dashi (how to make dashi here).
- Bring Dashi to slow boil (barely reaching boiling point), then reduce Dashi heat to low and add 2 beaten eggs into stove top pot. Mix continuously until eggs are cooked. Note - if you prefer well cooked eggs, bring soup to a full boil then reduce to simmer.
- Inside a strainer, add Miso and mix into water to dissolve (never boil Miso as it will lose its umami flavor).
- Add in green onions and serve.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*