A creamy and cheesy salmon risotto dish made from rice instead of arborio rice. This dish is simple, healthy and high protein, using all wholesome ingredients. It’s perfect for lunch meal prepping and stores well in the freezer.
How to make Salmon Risotto?
- Start by baking the salmon.
- Next, add rice of choice and butter into a frying pan or large saucepan and cook until tender under medium-high heat.
- Mix in heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and baked salmon.
- Simmer until the cheese is melted and the liquid becomes a creamy texture.
- Top with additional seasonings such as lemon juice, lemon zest, or garlic.
If you are looking to add more depth to the base broth, feel free to add vegetable stock or chicken broth and a little drizzle of dry white wine.
What ingredients do I need to make a healthy salmon risotto?
- Salmon Fillet – boneless skinless salmon fillet.
- Butter – salted or unsalted.
- Rice – rice of choice, use cauliflower rice for a low carb recipe. You can also use arborio rice if preferred.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – heavy cream or heavy whipping cream.
- Grated Parmesan – use grated parmesan or a blend found in the self-stable section of supermarkets.
- Salt – sea salt preferred.
- Black Pepper – ground. More or less depending on taste preference.
- Nutmeg – ground nutmeg found in the spice section in supermarkets.
- Green Onion – finely chopped green onion scallions.
- Shredded Parmesan – fresh or pre-shredded parmesan.
If using traditional rice, it’s best to use leftover or dried-out rice. This allows the rice to soak up all the flavors from the risotto broth.
What makes a risotto creamy?
For this recipe, the creaminess comes not from the starch in rice but from the use of heavy cream and cheese that has been heated and melted. The result is unlike any else!
Can salmon risotto be frozen?
Yes! Just store in an air-tight container or ziplock bag and store in the freezer. When ready to enjoy, throw it back into the microwave until warm.
Looking for other risotto recipes?
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425F and line baking sheet with silicone baking mat (or aluminum foil with cooking spray).
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper onto salmon fillet and transfer into the oven. Bake for 7-9 minutes until meat easily flakes off.
- Slices green onions as shown below and set aside.
- Once salmon is done, transfer to a holding bowl. Using a fork, break into smaller pieces and set aside.
- In a frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, stir in the rice and cook until tender, approximately 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, stir in heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and cooked salmon. Cook for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and mixed in thoroughly.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with green onions and serve hot!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*