This warm and comforting seafood egg drop soup takes the traditional egg drop to the next level! With the addition of tender sweet shrimp, this protein packed soup full of umami goodness is sure to satisfy any palate!
When thinking about Chinese recipes, there’s nothing more comforting than starting a meal off with some delicious and warm egg drop soup!
Growing up, whenever we ate a Chinese restaurant, that was always the first to be served and in my opinion one of the best!
When I started a low carb lifestyle, I of course was missing all the yummy Chinese foods I was used to eating growing up.
Apart from the corn starch, I was so glad to discover that egg drop soup can easily be made low carb. It’s actually really easy to make and it’ll take you 10 minutes tops!
And if you’re interested in our traditional egg drop soup, check it out here.
What’s Seafood Egg Drop Soup?
Seafood Egg Drop Soup is a traditional egg drop with the addition of tender shrimp while leaving out the carb-loaded thickening starch. Instead, we use xanthan gum to create a thickness similar to that of the original recipe.
What other kinds of seafood can you add to egg drop seafood soup?
You can use all kinds, but we find subtle sweet seafoods to work the best, my favorite being crab and lobster.
What kind of chicken broth should I use to make Chinese style egg drop soup?
We use canned chicken broth from our local grocery store. You can also use Asian style chicken broth, which will pack way more flavor and umami, but it does contain MSG.
What’s xanthan gum?
Xanthan gum is a low carb friendly thickening agent and stabilizer used in many recipes.
A pro tip is a little goes a LONG way for xanthan gum and will continue to thicken once removed from heat.
Looking for other Asian soup recipes?
- Beef Udon
- immi Black Garlic Chicken Ramen
- Creamy Coconut Tom Kha Gai Soup
- Cream Corn Potage Soup
- Full Collection of Asian Soup Recipes
Now, let’s get making some seafood egg drop soup!
- Prepping Time 1M
- Cook Time 5M
- Total Time 6M
- Net Carb/Serving 1g
- Servings 2
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Prepare shrimp by deveining, peeling, and drying off any liquid with a paper towel. Cut shrimp to bite size pieces and set aside.
3) Beat eggs in a bowl and set aside.
4) Finely chop green onions and set aside.
5) Add chicken broth into a large stove top pot and bring to a soft boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low, add in shrimp and cook for 30-45 seconds or until shrimp turns pink.
7) Stream beaten eggs into the large stove top pot while slowly stirring the soup.
8) Finally, add in the chopped green onions and transfer soup to a serving bowl. Enjoy hot! Note – if you would like to adjust the taste, do so with salt & White Pepper.
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Seafood Egg Drop Soup
- 28 oz Chicken Broth about 2 cans
- 1/4 lbs Peeled Shrimp
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/8 tsp Salt dash
- 1/8 tsp White Pepper dash
- 1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 Stalk Green Onion
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Prepare shrimp by deveining, peeling, and drying off any liquid with a paper towel. Cut shrimp to bite size pieces and set aside.
- Beat eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Finely chop green onions and set aside.
- Add chicken broth into a large stove top pot and bring to a soft boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low, add in shrimp and cook for 30-45 seconds or until shrimp turns pink.
- Next add in Soy Sauce, salt, White Pepper and Xanthan Gum. Mix well until Xanthan Gum fully dissolves and then reduce heat to low.
- Stream beaten eggs into the large stove top pot while slowly stirring the soup.
- Finally, add in the chopped green onions and transfer soup to a serving bowl. Enjoy hot! Note - if you would like to adjust the taste, do so with salt & White Pepper.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*