Hiyashi Wakame Seaweed Salad is a delicious side dish with wonderful taste and texture. It is made with healthy wakame seaweed mixed with a tangy, sweet and savory sauce. Best of all, it comes together in 5 minutes!
This seaweed salad can often be found in Japanese sushi restaurants as an appetizer or side dish. One of my favorite places that serves wakame seaweed salad happens to be the famous restaurant Nobu.
One bite and you will be hooked by the taste and texture of the delicious salad!
What is Hiyashi Wakame Seaweed Salad?
This Japanese seaweed salad is an inspiration from the popular sushi restaurant Nobu. It’s a dark green seaweed mixed with tangy, sweet and savory flavors. Very healthy and packed with nutrients.
What are the instructions for making seaweed salad?
- Soak the dried seaweed mix in water to let it rehydrate for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and squeeze out any excess water.
- If using monkfruit erythritol blend, follow directions for boiling.
- If using a traditional sweetener like sugar, you can just combine all the salad dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix, no need to boil it down.
- Pour sauce onto the seaweed and mix.
What are the health benefits of seaweed?
Seaweed boasts many health benefits including vitamin K and B, zinc, iron and antioxidants. It also keeps your skin and hair looking young and radiant.
What kind of seaweed works best for Japanese wakame salad?
Use a mixed dried seaweed pack found in most Japanese or Asian grocery stores.
You can also use 100% dried seaweed, but it is best if you use a seaweed pack that contains wakame, agar agar, suginori and other various seaweeds.
Did you have any tips for making this Hiyashi Wakame Seaweed Salad recipe?
- If using traditional sweetener like cane sugar, skip step 4) and directly combine all the dressing ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Use less sodium tamari soy sauce to reduce sodium intake and make it a gluten-free recipe.
- Garnish with some shredded carrots, julienne ginger slices, or sliced scallions.
- Place in fridge covered in plastic wrap until ready to serve.
- Wakame salad is best served cold, so store in the fridge in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Looking for other Japanese side dish recipes?
- Japanese Sunomono Cucumber Salad
- Soy Glazed Asparagus Beef Roll Ups
- Japanese Miso Mayo Vegetables
- Japanese Wafu Salad Dressing
- Hot Japanese Tofu Yudofu
Now, let’s get making this Hiyashi Wakame Seaweed Salad recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Total Time 5M
- Net Carb/Serving ~1g
- Servings 1
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Place dried Seaweed Mix into a bowl with water. Re-hydration should take around 5 minutes.
3) Grate ginger with a grater, set aside.
6) After Seaweed Mix is re-hydrated, squeeze out excess water from Seaweed Mix, transfer to serving bowl and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Before serving, mix dressing very well and drizzle on top of seaweed.
Hope you enjoy your Japanese Hiyashi Wakame Seaweed Salad!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Hiyashi Wakame Seaweed Salad
- 1/4 Cup Seaweed Mix
- 1/8 inch Ginger optional
- 2 tbs Monkfruit Erythritol Blend or sweetener of choice
- 2 tbs Soy Sauce
- 1 tbs Rice Vinegar can substitute with distilled white vinegar
- 1/8 tbs Salt
- 1/8 tbs Togarashi can substitute with ground red pepper
- 1/4 tbs Toasted Sesame Seed
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Place dried Seaweed Mix into a bowl with water. Re-hydration should take around 5 minutes.
- Grate ginger with a grater, set aside.
- In a small Teflon fry pan, add Monkfruit Erythritol Blend and Rice Vinegar, bring to boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and transfer to a dressing mixing bottle or a mixing bowl.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine Soy Sauce, salt, Togarashi, Toasted Sesame Seed, a pinch of the grated ginger and mix well.
- After Seaweed Mix is re-hydrated, squeeze out excess water from Seaweed Mix, transfer to serving bowl and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Before serving, mix dressing very well and drizzle on top of seaweed.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*