his easy Sesame Chicken Stir Fry recipe is seasoned with garlic, toasted sesame oil and a jalapeño pepper combo. It’s packed with protein and made with everyday ingredients you can find in your pantry right now!
Sesame chicken stir fry is a favorite in our family but no one more than myself. Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s a quick and easy and I can make it with such limited ingredients for a fast weeknight meal.
The addition of toasted sesame oil and jalapeño really puts a unique twist on this stir fry recipe promising to delight your taste buds! So if you’re looking for healthy Asian chicken recipes, this healthy sesame chicken stir fry is right up your alley!
You can enjoy this sesame chicken stir fry with a side of cauliflower rice or your favorite greens, like a salad or steamed veggies making a quick and healthy meal.
What is Sesame Chicken Stir Fry?
Sesame chicken stir fry is seasoned with garlic, toasted sesame oil, and jalapeño peppers. Not only is this healthy sesame chicken stir fry packed with flavor, it comes together quickly and is sure to please any crowd.
What is stir fry?
Stir frying is a Chinese cooking technique using any type of protein and or veggie that’s quickly cooked quickly on high heat in a wok, or skillet.
What does sesame chicken taste like?
Sesame chicken is full of flavors of toasted sesame oil, garlic with a spicy jalapeño kick. It’s a unique spin on traditional stir frying which commonly uses a soy sauce base.
Many stir-fry recipes use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the dish. For the sake of keeping it a healthy, low carb dish, we omit using thickeners.
What ingredients do I need and how do you make this healthy sesame chicken recipe?
- Chicken – we recommend chicken thighs for more tender and juicy chicken. You can also substitute with chicken breast if preferred.
- Onion – thinly sliced quarter of an onion.
- Jalapeno– de-seeded and sliced thinly.
- Green Onion – thinly sliced.
- Cooking Oil – use high-temp neutral cooking oil such as vegetable oil, safflower oil, grapeseed oil.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – use toasted sesame oil (dark and rich in color). Check to make sure it is not a sesame oil blend.
- Salt – table salt or sea salt.
- Black Pepper – fresh or pre-ground black pepper.
- Sesame Seeds – toasted sesame seeds are found in most supermarkets or Asian supermarkets.
Heat oil in a pan or nonstick skillet, add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Next, add chicken, sprinkle salt and pepper, and brown chicken and stir fry until thoroughly cooked.
Add onions and toasted sesame oil and cook for an additional minute.
Remove from heat, add jalapenos and sprinkle green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Serve with rice or cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
What other veggies can I add to a stir fry?
- Bell Peppers
- Green beans
- Baby Corn
- Water Chestnuts
- Sugar Snap Peas
What is the nutrition information for this sesame chicken stir fry recipe?
- 106 Calories
- 6g Carbohydrates
- 5g Fiber
- 2g Protein
- 6g Fat
- 10mg Cholesterol
- 178mg Sodium
- 446mg Potassium
- 22mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
- 2059ui Vitamin A
- 215mg Vitamin C
Looking for other healthy stir fry recipes?
- Asian Ground Chicken Stir Fry
- Japanese Style Pork Stir Fry
- Garlic Chicken Stir Fry
- Bacon Garlic Green Bean Stir Fry
Now, let’s get making this Sesame Chicken Stir Fry recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Cooking Time 5M
- Total Time 10M
- Net Carb/Serv ~1g
- Servings 2
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Thinly slice onions, green onions, garlic, de-seeded jalapenos and set aside.
3) Cut chicken into small bite-size pieces, about 1/2 x 1/2 inch and set aside.
4) In a fry pan, add neutral cooking oil and garlic on medium heat until garlic is fragrant. Next, turn up the heat to medium high and add chicken inside. Sprinkle in salt and black pepper and keep stirring and mixing until chicken is cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
5) Once the chicken is cooked, add onions and Toasted Sesame Oil while stirring. Cook for an additional minute.
6) After a minute, remove from heat and mix in green onions and jalapenos. Serve onto a plate and sprinkle Toasted Sesame Seed.
Hope you enjoy your Sesame Chicken Stir Fry!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Sesame Chicken Stir Fry
- 1/2 lbs Chicken Thighs Boneless and Skinless
- 1/4 Whole Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 4-5 Slices Jalapeno
- 1/2 Stalk Green Onion
- 1/2 tbsp Neutral Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Toasted Sesame Seed optional
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Thinly slice onions, green onions, garlic, de-seeded jalapenos and set aside.
- Cut chicken into small bite-size pieces, about 1/2 x 1/2 inch and set aside.
- In a fry pan, add neutral cooking oil and garlic on medium heat until garlic is fragrant. Next, turn up the heat to medium high and add chicken inside. Sprinkle in salt and black pepper and keep stirring and mixing until chicken is cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add onions and Toasted Sesame Oil while stirring. Cook for an additional minute.
- After a minute, remove from heat and mix in green onions and jalapenos. Serve onto a plate and sprinkle Toasted Sesame Seed.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*