Japanese Style Garlic Steak is a delectable dish prepared on a cast iron skillet with a flavorful garlic butter sauce that rivals the taste of restaurant-quality steak. It’s a perfect steak every time, and you’ll love the savory balance of salty and sweet in the Japanese-style garlic steak sauce. This recipe is a must-try for steak enthusiasts seeking an authentic Japanese steakhouse experience at home.
Table of Contents
- Steak – New York strip, ribeye steak or filet mignon, 1-1.5 inches thick.
- Salt – sea salt preferred.
- Black Pepper – ground.
- Soy Sauce – low-sodium Soy Sauce preferred. Can also use tamari for gluten-free.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Worcestershire Sauce packed in a bottle. Found in grocery stores.
- White Wine – dry white wine.
- Sweetener – use your preferred sweetener.
- Garlic– freshly grated garlic.
- Butter – salted or unsalted.
- Neutral Oil – no taste or flavor with high cooking temperature. Some choices are sunflower oil, peanut oil, sallower oil, vegetable oil, and canola oil.
Step 1 Begin by preheating your oven to 425°F.
Step 2 Pat dry the steak with a paper towel and season both sides with salt and black pepper.
Step 3 In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, white wine, sweetener, grated garlic and butter.
Step 4 Preheat oil in a cast iron pan, then sear the steak over high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side.
Step 5 Turn off the heat, pour the sauce mixture over the steak, and transfer the pan to the oven.
Step 6 Bake the steak for 3-7 minutes, adjusting according to your preferred level of doneness using the chart below. Then, transfer the steak to a serving plate and drizzle with extra sauce before serving.
To store leftovers, place them in an airtight container in the fridge, where they can be safely stored for 7-10 days. When reheating, simply use the microwave for a quick and convenient way to enjoy the delicious flavors once again.
Other Beef Recipes You Might Like
- Beef Yakiniku
- Korean BBQ Short Ribs Marinade
- Beef Kushiyaki
- Asparagus Beef Roll Ups
- Garlic Butter Steak Cubes
Watch How To Make It
Japanese Style Garlic Steak
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Pat dry New York Steak with a paper towel and sprinkle salt and black pepper both sides.
- In a small bowl, mix together grated garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, white wine, and sweetener. Add butter on top of the sauce, no need to stir or melt.
- Preheat cooking oil in a cast iron pan, then place the steak inside and sear each side for 1-2 minutes. Note: Avoid moving or lifting up the steak while searing.
- After searing both sides, turn off the heat, pour sauce mixture over the steak and transfer the entire pan into the oven.
- Cook steak in the oven for approx 3-7 minutes depending on preference and thickness of the steak. Note - keep in mind the steak will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven, so I usually pull it out 5F before target temp.
- Transfer steak pieces onto a plate, pour leftover juices from cast iron pan on top of the steak and serve.