Savor the delectable flavors of our Japanese Baked Salmon Belly, a dish bursting with umami and healthy omega-3 fatty acids. This easy salmon belly recipe will guide you in making the best salmon belly in a toaster oven, ensuring a nutritious and flavorful meal!
Step into the realm of authentic Japanese cuisine as you embrace the delicate balance of flavors with the zesty soy yuzu sauce and fragrant sesame seeds, experiencing a delightful culinary journey for your palate.
What is Japanese Baked Salmon Belly?
Japanese Baked Salmon Belly is a mouthwatering dish that features strips of salmon belly fillets baked to perfection.
The fillets are then adorned with a delightful drizzle of Japanese-style soy yuzu sauce, complemented by the freshness of chopped green onions and the nutty aroma of toasted sesame seeds.
This masterpiece showcases the art of bringing out the best flavors in every bite, creating a truly satisfying and wholesome dining experience.
What does salmon belly taste like?
Salmon belly delivers a delightful combination of flavors, boasting a pronounced hint of salmon’s natural richness and an irresistibly oily texture that melts in your mouth.
Complemented by the zesty, savory, and umami-filled Japanese-style soy yuzu sauce, and the freshness of green onions, the dish embodies a harmonious blend of succulent seafood and seasonings.
Is salmon belly healthy to eat?
Absolutely, salmon belly is a highly nutritious choice.
It’s rich in high-quality proteins, essential for muscle repair and growth.
Additionally, salmon belly is abundant in omega-3 fatty acids, promoting heart health, reducing inflammation, and supporting brain function.
Consuming salmon belly provides an excellent source of healthy fats, making it a beneficial addition to a balanced diet.
Where can I get salmon belly for this recipe?
You usually can get it at a Japanese or Asian supermarket. You also might be able to request some from your local supermarket’s fish department.
Just have them clean it and cut it into vertical strips (longways).
How to cook salmon belly in a toasted oven?
The perfect time and temp is 425F for 7-8 minutes in the center of the oven.
Make sure the salmon bellies are not touching one another during the baking process.
What ingredients do I need to make salmon belly recipe?
- Salmon Belly – strips of salmon belly meat. Can be found at Asian or Japanese grocery stores and specialized seafood markets.
- Cooking Spray Oil – standard cooking spray to coat baking sheet or mats.
- Salt – sea salt preferred.
- Soy Sauce – low sodium preferred. Can also use tamari for gluten-free and coconut aminos for keto.
- Yuzu – yuzu juice packed in a bottle. Can also substitute for lemon juice.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – toasted 100% sesame seed oil that should have a dark brown color.
- Green Onion – fresh green onion scallion finely chopped.
- Toasted Sesame Seeds – used for texture and garnish.
What are the instructions to make salmon belly recipe?
Start by patting dry the salmon belly strips to remove any excess oil, then lightly salt them and place them on a baking sheet or silicon baking mat sprayed with cooking oil.
Bake the salmon at 425°F for 7-8 minutes.
In a bowl, combine soy sauce, yuzu or lemon juice, and toasted sesame oil.
Finally, top the baked salmon with green onions and toasted sesame seeds, and drizzle the sauce on top for a delightful finish.
How to store baked salmon belly?
To store baked salmon belly, place it in an airtight container in the fridge, where it will remain fresh for 5-7 days.
When reheating, use the microwave for 15-30 seconds, taking care not to microwave for too long to avoid overcooking the delicate fish.
Looking for other salmon recipes?
- Japanese Style Seared Salmon
- Sesame Ginger Salmon Carpaccio
- Salmon Poke
- Pan Seared Salmon with Miso Sauce
- Smoked Salmon Carpaccio
Now, let’s get started making this Japanese Baked Salmon Belly recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Cook Time 8M
- Total Time 13M
- Net Carb/Serv ~1g
- Servings 1
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Pat salmon dry with a paper towel and lightly sprinkle salt on the salmon bellies.
3) Cover toaster oven tray with aluminum foil and lightly spray cooking oil or use a silicone baking mat. Place salmon belly on the tray and cook at 425F for 7-8 minutes.
5) Finely slice green onions and set aside.
6) Once salmon bellies are cooked, take out and plate. Sprinkle chopped green onions, Toasted Sesame Seeds and drizzle sauce on top.
Hope you enjoy your Japanese Baked Salmon Belly!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Japanese Baked Salmon Belly
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Pat salmon dry with a paper towel and lightly sprinkle salt on the salmon bellies.
- Cover toaster oven tray with aluminum foil and lightly spray cooking oil. Place salmon belly on the tray and cook at 425F for 7-8 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, add Soy Sauce, Yuzu, Sesame Oil and set aside. Note - for the Sesame Oil, it's literally just a drop.
- Finely slice green onions and set aside.
- Once salmon bellies are cooked, take out and plate. Sprinkle chopped green onions, Toasted Sesame Seeds and drizzle on sauce.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*