A delicious out-of-this-world lemon marinade for chicken that’s easy to make and packed with flavor. This 4 ingredient chicken marinade recipe comes together quickly and is sure to please a crowd.
This lemon marinade for chicken is made by combining lemon juice and the halves in a salt brine and letting the chicken marinate for up to 8 hours. It is a very simple recipe that requires a bit of prep time but the results are so worth it!
The result is juicy chicken full of lemony flavor grilled to perfection!
What is Lemon BBQ Chicken?
This simple 4 ingredient lemon chicken recipe uses real lemons and a salt brine to flavor the chicken. Then it is finished off on the grill for a lemony smokey chicken that’s absolutely irresistible.
This lemon chicken on grill recipe pairs perfectly with yuzu kosho, a Japanese paste made from chili peppers, yuzu peel, and salt. It can be found in most Japanese supermarkets.
What ingredients do I need and how do you make a lemon marinade for chicken?
- Chicken Thigh – skinless and boneless (about 3-4 chicken thighs) If preferred, chicken breasts will work for this recipe as well.
- Water – used for the salt brine.
- Salt – use table salt or kosher salt.
- Large Lemons – organic lemons are best since you will be placing the lemon halves into the brine.
- Yuzu Kosho (optional) – a Japanese citrus chili paste found in Japanese supermarkets.
Marinate chicken in water, fresh lemon juice, and salt for up to 8 hours.
Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and grill the chicken thoroughly or until internal temperature reaches 165 F.
Transfer to serving plate and serve with Yuzu Kosho (optional). Enjoy with a side salad
How long do you marinate the chicken?
It’s best to marinate chicken for up to 8 hours. It’s best to use a glass or plastic bowl, or a large ziplock freezer bag.
What happens if you marinate chicken in lemon juice too long?
If you marinate the chicken in the lemon brine too long, the acidity will start to cook the chicken and it will start to fall apart.
How long do you grill the chicken?
Grill at 350F with the lid covered for about 7-8 minutes per side or until internal temp reaches 165F. You can rub the grill with some olive oil to prevent sticking. Do not overcook for tender and juicy chicken.
Can I bake or pan-fry this lemon chicken recipe?
- Bake – in the oven at 350 F for 10- 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Pan Fry – saute chicken over medium high heat until chicken is tender and golden brown. About 7-10 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
What is the nutrition information for this lemon chicken recipe?
- 177 Calories
- 1g Carbohydrates
- 0g Fiber
- 15g Protein
- 12g Fat
- 61mg Cholesterol
- 75mg Sodium
- 162mg Potassium
- 21mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
- 115ui Vitamin A
- 4mg Vitamin C
Looking for other chicken on the grill recipes?
Now, let’s BBQ this lemon chicken recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Marination Time 8H
- Cook Time 10M
- Total Time 8H15M
- Net Carb/Serv ~5g
- Servings 2
- 12 oz Chicken Thigh Skinless and Boneless (about 3-4 chicken thighs)
- 3 Cup Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 4 Large Lemons
- 1 tsp Yuzu Kosho (optional)
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) In a glass mixing bowl, add water, salt, chicken, lemon juice and lemon shell. Marinate for 8 hours. Note – it’s recommended not to use metal bowls due to the interaction with lemon’s acidity.
3) After marination, pat chicken dry with a paper towel and cut into 1″ x 1″ cubes. Note – you can BBQ the chicken whole and cut it into pieces afterwards if preferred.
4) Preheat grill to 350F.
5) Once the grill is up to temp, reduce heat to medium and place chicken pieces on the grill. Close lid and cook for 7-10 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165F while occasionally rotating the chicken.
6) Transfer chicken to a serving plate and serve with optional Yuzu Kosho.
Hope you enjoy your Lemon BBQ Chicken!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy low carb inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Lemon BBQ Chicken
- 12 oz Chicken Thigh Skinless and Boneless, about 3-4 chicken thighs
- 3 Cup Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 4 Large Lemons
- 1 tsp Yuzu Kosho optional
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In a glass mixing bowl, add water, salt, chicken, lemon juice and lemon shell. Marinate for 8 hours. Note - it's recommended not to use metal bowls due to the interaction with lemon's acidity.
- After marination, pat chicken dry with a paper towel and cut into 1" x 1" cubes. Note - you can BBQ the chicken whole and cut it into pieces afterwards if preferred.
- Preheat grill to 350F.
- Once the grill is up to temp, reduce heat to medium and place chicken pieces on the grill. Close lid and cook for 7-14 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165F while occasionally rotating the chicken.
- Transfer chicken to a serving plate and serve with optional Yuzu
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*