Nothing beats a warm and nutritious soup during the winter months. This Japanese Chicken Soup recipe is light and delicate, yet full of umami and rich with nutrients to keep you healthy.
This simple and healthy Asian chicken soup recipe is our version of winter comfort food! Especially when it’s freezing outside and all you want is a delicious warm and savory soup.
This chicken soup recipe I am sharing today is a family recipe that has been enjoyed in my husband’s family for generations!
What is Japanese Chicken Soup?
This healthy Japanese chicken soup is made from dashi which is made from boiling bonito flakes and/or kombu. Then the chicken is added and cooked along with Japanese sake, salt and soy sauce.
The result is a simple, light and delicate Japanese winter chicken soup.
Why do you use chicken thigh in Japanese chicken soup?
Chicken thighs have more fat, which is rich in vitamins and minerals. It’s also more tender and flavorful, especially when used in soups.
What is dashi?
Dashi is broth made from boiling bonito flakes and/or kombu. It is commonly used in many Japanese recipes and gives the food a savory and umami flavor.
Why do you add Japanese sake to this soup recipe?
Japanese sake mellows out the flavors and also gets rid of any gaminess from the chicken. It also enhances the umami flavor in the soup.
Tips and tricks in making this Japanese chicken soup?
- Use high quality fresh chicken when making this soup.
- Cut chicken in bite-size pieces.
- Make dashi ahead of time. Can be stored in the freezer for later use.
- Use hondashi powder if short on time.
- Adjust salt to taste.
For more Japanese soup recipes, be sure to check these out!
- Tonjiru Pork Miso Soup
- Keto immi Black Garlic Chicken Ramen
- Mom’s Japanese Meatball Dango Soup
- Traditional Japanese Miso Soup
- Beef Udon
Now, let’s get started with this Japanese Chicken Soup recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Cook Time 5M
- Total Time 10M
- Net Carb/Serv ~1g
- Servings 2
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) In stove top pot, make 4 cups of Dashi.
3) In the meantime, cut chicken thighs into 1/2 x 1/2 inch bite size pieces and set aside.
4) Bring Dashi to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and add chicken, Soy Sauce, salt and Japanese sake. Cook for 5-6 minutes uncovered.
5) In the meantime, finely slice green onions and set aside (we sliced them at 45 degree for this recipe, but you can slice them however you like).
6) Once 5-6 minutes has passed, transfer soup to serving bowl and top with green onions.
Hope you enjoy your Japanese Chicken Soup!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Japanese Chicken Soup
- 1/2 lbs Chicken Thigh Boneless and Skinless, about 2 pieces
- 4 Cups Dashi
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Japanese Sake
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Stalk Green Onion
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In stove top pot, make 4 cups of Dashi.
- In the meantime, cut chicken thighs into 1/2 x 1/2 inch bite size pieces and set aside.
- Bring Dashi to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and add chicken, Soy Sauce, salt and Japanese sake. Cook for 5-6 minutes uncovered.
- In the meantime, finely slice green onions and set aside (we sliced them at 45 degree for this recipe, but you can slice them however you like).
- Once 5-6 minutes has passed, transfer soup to serving bowl and top with green onions.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*