With winter here and the weather getting colder outside, nothing beats a nice hot soup to stay warm! Especially ones that are light, delicate and glistening with chicken oils like my Mom’s Japanese Chicken Soup!
This one right here was my chicken soup growing up! I didn’t even know what ‘chicken noodle soup’ tasted like until college when I discovered Progresso, which by the way is awesome too! But this one right here is my version of winter comfort food!
Just a disclosure but this tastes nothing like a chicken noodle soup. The base of the soup are the chicken oils and Dashi alongside 3 other ingredients used to enhance the flavors.
This results in a very delicate soup that accents the umami flavors from the soup base with a light salt profile. It’s delicately delicious, a low-carb/keto friendly ~0.5g net carbs per serving and will keep you nice and toasty for the night!
This soup is pretty straight forward to make as well! We begin with your traditional Dashi, which we make by boiling water with katsuobushi (bonito flakes) and then add some cubed thighs chicken. It’s important that we use chicken thigh and not breasts as the thighs are loaded with oils and that’s where the flavors of this soup are drawn from.
Next, we simply add some additional flavors in the form of Japanese sake, salt and some Soy Sauce and let that all boil down for about 10 minutes and there you have it! A simple, delicate, nice winter Japanese chicken soup!
So if that sounds like your kind of soup, give it a try and we hope you enjoy it!
Now, let’s get started!Prepping Time 10M
Cook Time 10M
Total Time 20M
Net Carb/Serv ~0.5g
1) Gather all the ingredients.
3) In the meantime, cut chicken thighs into 1/2 x 1/2 inch bite size pieces and set aside.
5) In the meantime, finely slice green onions and set aside (we sliced them at 45 degree for this recipe, but you can slice them however you like).
6) Once 5-6 minutes has passed, transfer soup to serving bowl and top with green onions.
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Japanese Chicken Soup!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Japanese Chicken Soup
- 1/2 lbs Boneless and Skinless Chicken Thigh about 2 pieces
- 4 Cups Dashi
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Japanese Sake
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Stalk Green Onion
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In stove top pot, make 4 cups of Dashi.
- In the meantime, cut chicken thighs into 1/2 x 1/2 inch bite size pieces and set aside.
- Bring Dashi to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and add chicken, Soy Sauce, salt and Japanese sake. Cook for 5-6 minutes uncovered.
- In the meantime, finely slice green onions and set aside (we sliced them at 45 degree for this recipe, but you can slice them however you like).
- Once 5-6 minutes has passed, transfer soup to serving bowl and top with green onions.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*