This Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders recipe is an easy, protein loaded, low carb meal for any day of the week. It pairs perfectly with our spicy Japanese mayo dipping sauce and it’s so easy to make!
Looking for a different way to prepare chicken tenders without a carbohydrates filled coating or deep fried in oil?
This recipe replaces the usual all purpose flour and breadcrumbs for a healthier, low carb alternative.
To take it to the next level, I added a spicy mayo dipping sauce that takes the chicken tenders to the next level.
Each piece is under 1g carbs so don’t wait, make this delicious recipe today!
What is Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders?
Chicken tenders are coated in a simple mixture of almond flour, egg, and shredded parmesan cheese. It is then baked in the oven until golden brown with a cheesy crust.
These are a healthy, low carb friendly alternative to the traditional fried chicken tenders and are very easy to make.
What ingredients are used for this Parmesan crusted chicken tenders recipe?
- Chicken Thigh – cut into 1/2 inch thick strips. Chicken thighs are the preferred meat for this recipe because it tends to be juicer and more tender. If you prefer, chicken breast works well too.
- Salt – giving the chicken a sprinkle of salt enhances the chicken and gives it more flavor.
- Black Pepper – fine or course black pepper
- Almond Flour – finely sifted and blanched works best.
- Egg – eggs are beaten in a bowl and used as a binding agent for the chicken tenders.
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese – grate your own Parmesan cheese or buy pre-shredded sold in Supermarkets.
What type of chicken should I use to make this recipe?
You can use chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts if you prefer.
My tip is to use chicken thighs and cut them into tenderloins for ultra juicy and soft chicken tenders that are not only delicious but also high in protein and potassium.
What kind of dipping sauce do you use with these Parmesan chicken tenders?
- Spicy Mayo Sauce (included in recipe below) – a sriracha and mayo based dipping sauce.
- Ketchup – use regular tomato ketchup or sugar-free ketchup to stay low carb and sugar-free.
- Honey Mustard Sauce – you can find honey mustard at local supermarkets.
- Ranch Dressing – ranch is a classic chicken tender dipping sauce and compliments these parmesan chicken tenders perfectly.
- Marinara Sauce – make your own or just buy marinara in a jar. Don’t forget to warm it up!
How do you make a low carb friendly panko crust?
This recipe replaces traditional all purpose flour and bread crumbs (panko) for almond flour and shredded parmesan cheese to make a low carb friendly crust that is packed with protein, and calcium.
What temp should chicken be when done?
Chicken is fully cooked and safe to consume when a thermometer measures 165F in the center.
Did you have any tips in making this Parmesan crusted chicken tender recipe?
- For best results, use freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Use a high quality silicone baking mat to avoid melted cheese sticking the oven tray.
- Use a meat thermometer to check chicken is done to 165F.
- Don’t overcrowd the baking tray when cooking. If doubling the recipe, cook in batches.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerators in an airtight container.
Looking for other chicken recipes?
- Baked Chicken Thigh with Garlic Lemon Aioli
- Japanese Chicken Gratin
- Lemon BBQ Chicken
- Sesame Chicken Stir Fry
- Boiled Garlic Chicken
Now, let’s get started making this Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tender recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Cook Time 15M
- Total Time 20M
- Net Carb/Serv ~2g
- Servings 2
- 3/4 lb Chicken Thigh Boneless and Skinless (can sub with chicken breast)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Almond Flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 Eggs
- 8 oz Shredded Parmesan Cheese
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Preheat oven to 400F. We strongly recommend using a silicone baking mat for this recipe, but if you don’t have any, line baking sheet with aluminum foil and generously spray with cooking oil.
3) Dry chicken with paper towel, cut into 1/2 inch thick strips and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
4) In separate bowls, fill 1 mixing bowl with Almond Flour, 1 mixing bowl with a beaten eggs, and 1 mixing bowl with shredded Parmesan cheese.
5) In this order, dip and coat each chicken strip: Almond Flour > eggs > shredded Parmesan cheese. Once coated, place onto silicone baking mat.
6) Place baking mat on middle rack and bake for 6-7 minutes until cheese crust is golden brown. Carefully flip to the other side and bake for another 6-7 minutes (internal temp of the chicken should be 165F). You optional can also create a golden brown crust by moving the oven tray 6-8 inches away from heating element and broiling for about 1-2 minutes.
7) Finely chop green onions and set aside.
9) Transfer cheese crusted chicken tenders to serving plate and serve with sauce.
Hope you enjoy your Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy low carb inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders
- 3/4 lb Chicken Thigh Skinless and Boneless can sub with chicken breast
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 8 oz Parmesan Cheese Shredded
- 4 tbsp Kewpie Mayo can sub with regular mayo
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Stalk Green Onion can sub with parsley
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400. We strongly recommend using a silicone baking mat for this recipe, but if you don't have any, line baking sheet with aluminum foil and generously spray with cooking oil.
- Dry chicken with paper towel, cut into 1/2 inch thick strips and sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides.
- In separate bowls, fill 1 mixing bowl with Almond Flour, 1 mixing bowl with a beaten eggs, and 1 mixing bowl with shredded Parmesan cheese.
- In this order, dip and coat each chicken strip: Almond Flour > eggs > shredded Parmesan cheese. Once coated, place onto baking mat.
- Place baking mat on middle rack and bake for 6-7 minutes until cheese crust is golden brown. Carefully flip to the other side and bake for another 6-7 minutes (internal temp of the chicken should be 165F). You optional can also create a golden brown crust by moving the oven tray 6-8 inches away from heating element and broiling for about 1-2 minutes.
- Finely chop green onions and set aside.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine Kewpie Mayo, Sriracha, a pinch of black pepper. Mix well, top with green onions and set aside.
- Transfer cheese crusted chicken tenders to serving plate and serve with sauce.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*