This Spicy Garlic Cucumber salad is a family favorite! Fresh crunchy cucumbers are tossed in a tangy and garlicky sauce for a delicious side dish that you can make in minutes!
This deliciously easy and addicting spicy cucumber salad was inspired by my mom’s Taiwanese smashed cucumber dish. Smashed you ask? Yes!
A classic technique originating from China, the chef would smash cucumbers with the flat side of a large cleaver creating large broken cracked pieces of cucumber.
At LCA however, we prefer the un-messy version of just cutting them into bite-size spears.
Regardless of how you cut the cucumbers, I kid you not when I say that the sauce makes this dish!
It’s the perfect combination of savory, sweet, tangy vinegar with bits of fresh spicy garlic to the light and crunchiness of the cucumbers. Super easy to make and absolutely delicious!
If you love cucumbers side dishes, check out our other cucumber dishes:
What is spicy garlic cucumber salad?
Spicy garlic cucumber salad is a cold side dish where fresh and crunchy cucumbers are cut then tossed in a soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, monkfruit, and sesame oil sauce.
What’s the difference between Persian vs American cucumbers?
Persian cucumbers have very thin skin, are basically seedless, and have a very crunchy bite.
The texture of this recipe is key so we recommend using Persian or Japanese cucumbers.
How long does this cucumber salad keep in the refrigerator?
Because cucumbers emit water after they are cut, the longer you keep in the refrigerator, the more watery it gets. So I would consume it within a couple of hours or less if you want to keep the full flavor of the dish.
What’s rice vinegar and what’s the difference between distilled white vinegar?
Rice vinegar has a milder taste while white vinegar is more harsh and acidic.
For this dish, the special ingredients you would need are Monkfruit, Soy Sauce, Toasted Sesame Oil and Toasted Sesame Seeds. You can get all these ingredients on Amazon or at a local Asian supermarket.
Now, let’s making some easy spicy garlic cucumber salad
- Prepping Time 1M
- Cooling Time 3M
- Total Time 4M
- Optional Marination +5M
- Net Carb/Serv ~3g
- Servings 2
1) Gather all the ingredients.
4) Cut cucumbers into 1 inch long spears as shown below.
5) Mince garlic and set aside.
6) After sauce is cooled from step 3), add in minced garlic and spear cucumbers, mix, transfer to a serving bowl and leave in the fridge until ready to serve. Best served after 5-10 of marination in the fridge!
Hope you enjoy your Spicy Garlic Cucumber Salad!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Spicy Garlic Cucumber Salad
- 2 Persian/Japanese Cucumber
- 1 tbsp Monkfruit
- 1 1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1/4 tsp Togarashi can replace with chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In a small fry pan, combine Monkfruit, Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar and bring to a soft boil then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Next add in Toasted Sesame Oil, Togarashi, Toasted Sesame Seeds, mix well and set aside for 2-3 minutes to let it cool to room temp.
- Cut cucumbers into 1 inch long spears as shown below.
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- After sauce is cooled from step 3), add in minced garlic and spear cucumbers, mix, transfer to a serving bowl and leave in the fridge until ready to serve. Best served after 5-10 of marination in the fridge!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*