Sweet and salty fried kabocha is a guilt-free side dish that is full of pumpkin flavor. The salty coating contrast with the sweet kabocha is extremely addicting!
If you are looking for a Japanese pumpkin recipe that you can enjoy, this recipe will not only teach you how to prepare kabocha squash, but it will teach you how to make the best kabocha recipe.
What is Sweet n Salty Fried Kabocha?
Kabocha coated in a salty low carb and keto friendly coating, then fried until soft and tender. The result is a sweet and salty fried kabocha that is utterly addicting.
What is kabocha, also known as Asian squash?
Kabocha is a Japanese pumpkin but much smaller compared to its Western counterpart and green in color. The darker green the kabocha, the sweeter it will be!
What does a kabocha taste like?
Kabocha squash has a subtly sweet taste with a velvety texture similar to a cross between pumpkin and sweet potato. The flesh is typically on the drier side when roasted in the oven however, simmered creates a moist kabocha texture that will be pleasing to any crowd.
What is kabocha called in English?
Kabocha is an Asian squash known for its green outer skin and orange flesh.
How to prepare Japanese pumpkin, kabocha squash?
Kabocha is very hard so to prepare it, we recommend first microwaving for 1-2 minutes to soften the flesh and make cutting easier.
What ingredients do I need to make fried kabocha squash?
- Kabocha – Japanese pumpkin available in most Asian or Japanese supermarkets.
- Almond Flour – a healthy, low carb alternative to wheat flour.
- Egg – beaten.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – use pre-grated or fresh Parmesan cheese.
- Sparkling Water – gives the kabocha an airy and light coating.
- Sweetener – we recommend monkfruit erythritol blend or your preferred sweetener.
- Salt – table salt or sea salt.
How do you make fried kabocha squash?
Dip sliced kabocha squash in batter then deep fry until desired tenderness. About 90 seconds on each side.
What is the nutrition information for this fried Japanese pumpkin recipe?
- 159 Calories
- 10g Carbohydrates
- 5g Fiber
- 8g Protein
- 10g Fat
- 84mg Cholesterol
- 370mg Sodium
- 429mg Potassium
- 96mg Calcium
- 2mg Iron
- 1678ui Vitamin A
- 14mg Vitamin C
Looking for other kabocha recipes?
- Simmered Japanese Kabocha
- Baked Maple Glazed Kabocha
- Air Fryer Kabocha Pumpkin Fries
- Mashed Kabocha Salad
Now, let’s get making this Sweet n Salty Fried Kabocha recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Cooking Time 5M
- Total Time 10M
- Net Carb/Serv ~4g
- Servings 2
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Cut 1/4 of the kabocha into thin slices about 1/2″ thick. See pictures below on how we de-seed and cut the kabocha for this dish. Note – if you’re having a difficult time cutting into the kabocha, throw the whole kabocha in the microwave for about 1 – 1.5 minutes.
4) Take a slice of kabocha, dip into batter mix and place onto a holding plate.
5) Pour cooking oil into a fry pan of choice and heat oil up to 375F.
6) Once up to heat, reduce heat to medium low, carefully add coated kabocha slices and cook for 90 seconds until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side for 90 seconds until golden brown. Once done, transfer slices to oven rack and leave for about 1 minute (if you don’t have a oven rack, you can just place them on a plate with paper towels). Transfer to serving plate and enjoy! Note – the texture is suppose to be soft but if you prefer firmer texture, fry for 45-60 seconds per side instead.
Hope you enjoy your Sweet n Salty Fried Kabocha!
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Sweet n Salty Fried Kabocha
- 1/4 Kabocha
- 1/4 Cup Almond Flour
- 1 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 2 tbsp Cup Sparkling Water
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sweetener monkfruit erythritol blend, sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Cut 1/4 of the kabocha into thin slices about 1/2" thick. See pictures below on how we de-seed and cut the kabocha for this dish. Note - if you're having a difficult time cutting into the kabocha, throw the whole kabocha in the microwave for about 1 - 1.5 minutes.
- Prepare batter by mixing Almond Flour, grated Parmesan cheese, egg, Sparkling Water, salt and sweetener. Set aside.
- Take a slice of kabocha, dip into batter mix and place onto a holding plate.
- Pour cooking oil into a fry pan of choice and heat oil up to 375F.
- Once up to heat, reduce heat to medium low, carefully add coated kabocha slices and cook for 90 seconds until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side for 90 seconds until golden brown. Once done, transfer slices to oven rack and leave for about 1 minute (if you don’t have a oven rack, you can just place them on a plate with paper towels). Transfer to serving plate and enjoy!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*