The classic tomato basil mozzarella with an Asian twist! Fresh, juicy, and salted with umami – a fail-proof appetizer in only 5 minutes!
Some may find this surprising, but Italian food has a huge presence in Japan. So much so, that Japanese-Italian restaurants have become embedded into the Japanese culture.
As is common in fusion-style cooking, Japanese chefs have taken Italian recipes and modified them to fit their palates. Take, for example, this classic Caprese salad recipe paired with an unlikely condiment – soy sauce!
What is a Tomato Basil Mozzarella appetizer dish?
Traditionally, a Caprese salad is fresh tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and fresh mozzarella cheese. These are sliced uniformly, stacked together, and seasoned with salt and olive oil (some variations call for pepper, balsamic vinegar, and/or balsamic glaze).
What makes this recipe different is the substitution of soy sauce in place of the balsamic dressing. Now it becomes a side dish that actually camouflages well with other Asian dishes!
What does tomato basil mozzarella taste like?
This version is fresh, herby, and juicy, with a sprinkle of salty umami.
The soft, bouncy texture of fresh mozzarella complements the juicy, fresh tomato. The fresh basil adds a deeper element and becomes the most powerful flavor in the dish.
All of this is fused together with the savor of salt, pepper, olive oil, and soy sauce.
Note – Soy sauce adds a punch to the dish and gives it an Asian flair. But make sure to go easy on the soy sauce as too much can make it overly salty.
Is mozzarella cheese and tomatoes good for you?
Yes! Mozzarella is lower in fat, sodium, and calories compared to other cheeses. It is also a good source of protein and calcium and contains probiotics that can benefit your immune system.
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins C, K, potassium, and folate. They also have antioxidants that have been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer.
What ingredients do I need to make this tomato basil mozzarella recipe?
- Tomatoes – fresh tomatoes. Look for tomatoes that are firm, but slightly soft when squeezed.
- Fresh Mozzarella – found in tubs or sealed packages. Can be found in most supermarkets in the refrigerated section.
- Basil Leaves – fresh basil leaves can be found in either packaged or plant form.
- Salt – table salt or sea salt.
- Black Pepper – ground black pepper.
- Olive Oil – use olive oil or extra virgin olive oil.
- Soy Sauce – low sodium is preferred. For gluten-free, you can use tamari or coconut aminos.
How to make a tomato basil mozzarella appetizer dish?
This dish is super easy to prepare. Short prep time, easy instructions, and no cooking or oven required!
Evenly slice ripe tomatoes and fresh mozzarella into uniform pieces.
Pro Tip – To save you the hassle, try to find pre-cut mozzarella slices. All you have to do is pull them apart!
You’re going to be stacking (or layering) the ingredients ( tomato, mozzarella cheese, and basil) in your preferred order.
Finally, in a small mixing bowl, combine salt, pepper, olive oil, and soy sauce. You’re going to be drizzling this on top of the salad.
Note – There is also a mini-version of this dish, using mini tomatoes and mini mozzarella! Using either cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, ball mozzarella, and small pieces of basil, place them all on a skewer for a bite size version of this tomato mozzarella salad! Don’t forget to add the umami sauce!
What is the nutrition information for this tomato basil mozzarella recipe?
- 120 Calories
- 2g Carbohydrates
- 1g Fiber
- 7g Protein
- 9g Fat
- 26mg Cholesterol
- 249mg Sodium
- 86mg Potassium
- 167mg Calcium
- 1mg Iron
- 462ui Vitamin A
- 4mg Vitamin C
Looking for other appetizer recipes?
- White Wine Garlic Manila Clams
- Asian Noodle Salad
- Shrimp Cakes with Lemon Aioli
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Japanese Beef Steak Tataki
Now, let’s get making this Tomato Basil Mozzarella Bites recipe!
- Prepping Time 5M
- Total Time 5M
- Net Carb/Slice ~0.5g
- Servings 14-16 Slices
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- 16 oz Fresh Mozzarella
- 14-32 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) In a small mixing bowl, combine salt, pepper, olive oil and soy sauce. Set aside.
3) Thinly slice tomatoes and fresh mozzarella into 1/4″ thickness. Set aside.
4) On a serving plate, lay down tomato slice followed by a slice of fresh mozzarella topped with basil leaves. Keep chilled until ready to serve and drizzle dressing on top before serving!
Hope you enjoy your Tomato Basil Mozzarella Appetizer Bites
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of healthy Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Tomato Basil Mozzarella Bites
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine salt, pepper, olive oil and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Thinly slice tomatoes and fresh mozzarella into 1/4" thickness. Set aside.
- On a serving plate, lay down tomato slice followed by a slice of fresh mozzarella topped with basil leaves. Keep chilled until ready to serve and drizzle dressing on top before serving!
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*