Tomato Garlic Baked Cod is Fresh or frozen seasoned cod is topped with sliced tomato, shredded Gruyere cheese, chopped garlic and a drizzle of olive oil then baked until the fish is cooked thoroughly and the cheese is melted.
How to make Tomato Garlic Baked Cod?
- You start with seasoning the fillets of the rockfish and transferring them to a well oil-coated baking dish.
- Next, top with minced garlic, tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil and bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes until the fish flakes off easily with a fork.
- Top with chopped parsley or your favorite fresh herbs.
Other seasonings you can add to your liking are butter, lemon juice lemon slices, lemon zest, lemon pepper and garlic powder. You can also sprinkle some paprika for coloring if desired.
What ingredients do I need to make tomato garlic baked rockfish?
- Rock Cod Fillets – Any variety of rockfish will work with this recipe. You can also substitute with firm white texture meat such as lingcod, pacific cod, halibut, and pacific snapper.
- Tomato – fresh whole tomato.
- Garlic – freshly chopped.
- Sweetener – use your preferred sweetener.
- Cayenne Pepper – or use chili pepper or chili pepper flakes.
- Salt – sea salt preferred.
- Black Pepper – ground
- Gruyere Cheese – best to use a block and shred the cheese yourself. Can substitute with mozzarella or any cheese that pulls, but will alter the flavor.
- Olive Oil – extra virgin olive oil or olive oil of choice.
- Parsley – freshly chopped.
What is Rockfish
Rockfish is a general name given for a variety of fish that live in rocks on the bottom of the ocean. Some popular rockfish used for commercial purposes include vermilion rockfish (also known as red snapper), canary, copper, yelloweye and black rockfish.
All these rockfish have very similar textures and slightly vary in taste from semi-sweet to neutral meat.
Ingredient Swaps for Rockfish
- Pacific Cod
- Pacific Snapper
These fish options will work beautifully for baking.
Looking for other cooked fish recipes?
- Pan Seared Cod with Ginger Sauce
- Chinese Style Steamed Fish Fillets
- Japanese Style Seared Salmon
- Old Bay Fish Fry
- Japanese Miso Salmon
Tomato Garlic Baked Cod
- 1/2 lbs Rock Cod Fillets can sub with other white meat fish fillets
- 1 Medium Tomato
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Sweetener your preferred sweetener
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Gruyere Cheese can sub with Parmesan
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Parsley optional garnish
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mince garlic cloves, chop parsley and slice tomatoes as shown below.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sweetener, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and set aside.
- Pat dry fish fillets with a paper towel and then generously sprinkle seasoning on both sides of the fish fillets. Add a touch of olive oil to coat the bottom of the baking dish and then transfer fillets as shown below.
- In the following order, top fillets with sliced tomatoes, Gruyere cheese, minced garlic and the rest of the olive oil. Transfer the baking pan into the center of the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the fish easily flakes off with a fork.
- After baking, transfer cod fillets onto a serving plate and top with chopped parsley. Note - adjust taste with salt if needed.
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*