This keto Vietnamese egg coffee is a sweet and creamy treat that will surprise fellow coffee lovers! Sweet coffee is topped with a thick and frothy layer of blended egg yolk meringue giving you a delicious, rich coffee treat.
Move over dalgona coffee, because it’s all about Vietnamese egg coffee! While browsing the web, I came across this interesting video of this cafe in Hanoi, Vietnam that is known for making a popular coffee drink called egg coffee (cafe fe trung).
I was so intrigued by this so called “egg coffee” that I immediately started researching what this mysterious coffee drink was all about.
The history behind egg coffee came about in Vietnam during the war in the1940’s when milk was scarce leading locals to add egg yolk to coffee as a replacement.
Traditionally Vietnamese egg coffee is prepared mixing egg yolks, sugar, and condensed milk into a thick, frothy cream then topped over espresso.
The cream to coffee ratio is generally about 1:1. A spoon is provided to eat the foam before drinking the coffee at the bottom.
Being the keto-fier that I am, I started testing different ways to make this egg coffee low-carb/keto friendly. But let me tell you, it was much more challenging than I thought it would be!
Because we use Monkfruit for the sweetener, it doesn’t dissolve from mixing with the egg yolk. So we decided to omit it from the cream mixture but instead sweeten the coffee to still give it sweetness.
If you prefer to have your egg yolk cream mixture sweetened and don’t mind the graininess, you can add a little Monkfruit to the egg yolks before blending.
Either way, I highly recommend giving this delicious Vietnamese egg coffee a try. Who knows, it could be your next coffee obsession!
Now, what are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
Prep Time 5M
Total Time 5M
Net Carb/tbsp ~0.5g
1) Gather all the ingredients.
2) Separate egg whites from egg yolk and set yolk aside. You can discard egg whites or make some eggs with it.
3) In a small mixing bowl, add egg yolks and mix with a hand/stand mixer on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until thick and frothy.
5) Top each cup with egg mixture. To enjoy, you can either sip as is or use a spoon (traditionally, a spoon is used for sipping).
Hope you enjoy your low-carb/keto Vietnamese Egg Coffee
If you’re looking for other recipe ideas, be sure to check out our growing Recipe Index full of Asian inspired recipes!
Join us on Facebook to be part of our interactive discussions & recipe requests and follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, or subscribe to our New Recipe Notification and be the first to know when we post a new recipe!
Keto Low Carb Vietnamese Egg Coffee
- 12 oz Hot Water
- 4 tsp Instant Coffee or replace with 4 oz espresso
- 1 1/2 tbsp Swerve/Monkfruit
- 2 Eggs
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolk and set yolk aside. You can discard egg whites or make some eggs with it.
- In a small mixing bowl, add egg yolks and mix with a hand/stand mixer on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until thick and frothy.
- In a heat resistant cup, add Instant Coffee, Swerve/Monkfruit, and hot water. Mix, combine well and pour coffee into 2 cups. Note - if using espresso, replace the Instant Coffee and hot water.
- Top each cup with egg mixture. To enjoy, you can either sip as is or use a spoon (traditionally, a spoon is used for sipping).
*This page contains affiliate marketing links*